VetClick Discussion Forum

my dogs excess wind

Posted by clive 
clive
my dogs excess wind
February 09, 2013 03:29PM
hi, my border collie sox is 9 years old now, fit as a flea, in great condition and maintains a perfect weight. i have owned sox since he was a pup, he has been on the same diet since becoming an adult, he is not showing any signs of illness, but for approximately 3 weeks now he has had a lot! of very smelly wind, he is eating, drinking and going to toilet normaly. any ideas please ?
Re: my dogs excess wind
February 19, 2013 02:53PM
Hi Clive

If Socks is still having the problem my general comment would be that flatulence is sometimes a forerunner to an upset stomach with diahorrea. A mild upset however, may just produce flatulence with no other symptoms. Is it possible that Socks may have eaten something out on a walk that you are unware of? In which case there is an inciting cause even without a change in diet. Medicinal charcoal or charcoal biscuits added to food sometimes help flatulence. If there's no other symptoms and Socks is eating well then you can either do that or alternatively try a blander diet than his usual for a few days. The classic home cooked mixture that I recommend is boiled rice with cooked chicked in a 50/50 mix. If this has no effect, or the symptoms remain or progress to diahorrea, that's when you need a check up with a vet.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
clive
February 21, 2013 09:11PM
Hi Cathy, thank you for the advise. Sox continues to be well but still windy. Yes it is possible he could have eaten something dodgy while out exercising, as i walk him off lead in Burnham Beeches often, and he is out of my sight for minutes at a time as he loves to run through the woods. do you think he could have something ie a foreign body of some description stuck in his gut somewhere?
March 02, 2013 02:40PM
Hi again Clive

Sorry for the delay, I have been away. I dont think Sox's problem is likely to be a foreign body because his symptoms are not that of a blockage. Vomiting features much more prominently when a foreign body exists and dog's are usually very ill and depressed. if you have done the simple things I suggested and he's still got the problem, I would turn to your local vet for a further remedy. They would also be able give him a thorough check up to rule out a more serious bowel disorder.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved