VetClick Discussion Forum

Help! leg problem

Posted by Terri Bell 
Terri Bell
Help! leg problem
February 07, 2013 03:59PM
please help! my 8 month old border collie has had a limp on and off for the past few months - front right leg. the first time we visited out vet he said it was growing pains and it would ease off and eventually go. the second time our vet didnt think it was anything to do with bones/joints but rather a muscle problem. told us to only take him on short lead walks for 10 days and gave us metacam to give to him daily. we followed this advice, but now he's back to his normal walks the limp has returned. it also appears to be getting worse, it used to be around every second day his limp would appear, its now happening every day. we are so worried, any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated
Re: Help! leg problem
February 15, 2013 05:52PM
Hi

I am not going to speculate on what problem your dog has that is causing the limp but I would say that I would be planning to offer X-rays of the lame leg if symptoms are not going away with prolonged rest and anti-inflammatories (which is the Metacam). I suggest as a next step you discuss that option with your vet.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Terri Bell
June 21, 2013 03:09PM
Thank you for your advice, he has had xrays and he has a problem with his shoulder joint, the bone has not formed properly and their is a sharp bit which is wearing away his cartilage. he is in the process of being booked in for a very expensive operation at Glasgow Veterinary School, so worried about him sad smiley

Thanks again
July 20, 2013 03:52PM
Hi

Thanks for the update. Hope everything has worked out with his operation.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved