VetClick Discussion Forum

lumps and bumps on dog

Posted by lizee 
lizee
lumps and bumps on dog
January 13, 2013 02:42PM
My aged lab (12 years) is in great health, but has developed 3 separate lumps in the past year. None are painful, and they do not look alike. With his age, we would be reluctant to do anything invasive.

!. What I thought was a simple lipoma or cyst developed on the truck of the body. along the ribs. Sitting beneath the skin surface, it s a small, mobile semi-spherial lump which doesn't feel attached to anything, and has no stalk

2. Next was a little spherical swelling on one testicle. It is the same colour as the testicle, sits out from the surface and has grown to the size of a marble. Again. not painful.and quite squidgy to the touch.

3. Most recent is on the undersurface of the ear. It first developed as a tiny grey swelling, and we thought it was a tick, and were trying to remove it - it was not a tick and bled! it has become a little bigger, is pink and is a well defined sphere about 3-4mm diameter.

Do you think these are related or separate things, and should we be unduly worried? My only real concern is the one on the testicle, which I thing might be irritated as it is beginning to be brushed by the hind leg when he walks - so it might be best to get this removed?

Thank you.
Re: lumps and bumps on dog
January 15, 2013 08:27PM
Hi

Older dogs are certainly more prone to developing skin lumps and your dogs various lumps and bumps all need to be checked even if removal isnt part of your plan. From their different locations they may not be related to each other at all but I cant be sure of that. Most lumps can be assessed by taking samples with what is called 'Fine needle aspiration' these are non-invasive and relatively simple tests to perform. Talk to your vet about this possibility and see if that can be done. If the results all came back as non-cancerous lumps it would at least put your mind at rest. Your vet can help you decide if any action is needed.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved