VetClick Discussion Forum

Seizure?

Posted by Molly Meyers 
Molly Meyers
Seizure?
January 03, 2013 02:12PM
Hi
I have a 5 yr old Italian Greyhound, spayed, up to date on shots, doesn't take meds has eaten the same food for yrs and also goes poppy indoors. She was also born deaf. I could knock wood that for the 4.5 yrs I have had her she has never needed a vet for a thing. She has never thrown up nor had diarrhea. Pretty good! Well, 2 weeks ago, while she was sleeping under my covers I felt alot of rustling around and thought it was just her changes positions but when I looked she was trying to stand and walk and was stumbling/falling. She did this 2 more times and I picked her up and put her on the floor and she was still wobbly, threw up a bit. I picked her up and sat with her on the couch without any behavorial changes or swaying. In about 2 minutes, she looked at me, jumped off the couch, trotted fine into the bedroom got under the cover and fell asleep. I know I s/have brought her to the vet. But at the moment I can't financially. I know its wrong and also know if it persisted or she was left w/ any side effects I know w/have had to get her there. I also am less than happy w/ my present. She didn't have a head tilt, her eyes were not moving side to side, she wasn't drooling, she wasn't at any time rigid nor trembling. Since that day she is absolutely fine. Because at first I thought it was a stroke and then ppl were suggesting mini seizure but it wasn't typical symptoms. AND ONLY 1 week before this she had a complete blood work up prior to her dental cleaning. Can you shed any light on this?
Re: Seizure?
January 04, 2013 01:24PM
Hi

It was very brief but it sounds most likely that this was some type of minor seizure. Typical seizures are major or 'grand mal' events when dogs lay unconscious and go into violent spasms, but minor seizures can vary in symptoms quite a lot so there is no typical pattern with what happens. There may just be a brief period of odd behaviour. At least she had some blood work recently so that was useful in helping rule out an underlying medical problem.

As brief as this event was and bearing in mind your circumstances it is not unreasonable to just monitor what happens next. If more seizures happen, longer or more frequently that changes the picture and she really should then see a vet.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Re: Seizure?
January 04, 2013 02:07PM
Thank you very much. It was difficult to discern because all the material on line didn't point to her reactions as a seizure.
I always thought there had to be some form of trembling or rigidity. Yes I will monitor and certainly take her to the vet if it happens again.
~Molly
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved