VetClick Discussion Forum

cat vomits after dried food

Posted by Elaine Jones 
Elaine Jones
cat vomits after dried food
November 20, 2012 03:06PM
A couple of months ago my 11 year old cat started daily vomiting - usually in the early hours. The vet did a complete blood test - all perfect and told us to try eliminatiion/reintroduction of his diet. We have done this and it is indeed any dried catfood. He isnt sick immediately but after some 12 - 15 hours. He is now on a diet of proprietory moist cat food and boiled fish but as I am out at work all day I really miss leaving him a bowl of Go Cat or IAMS. Is this a comon problem and is there anything else I can feed him on?
Re: cat vomits after dried food
November 23, 2012 10:59AM
Hi Elaine

I would say that yes it is not uncommon for me to see cats who vomit on dried diets. There can be a variety of causes and it sounds like your vet has checked him for problems. Generally, switching to a diet that your cat tolerates better is the thing to do, be it a wet diet or a different dry diet. One cause of vomiting can be a food allergy and the only way to know this is to trial small amounts of a hypoallergenic dry diet, instead of what you've been feeding, to see if he still vomits that.

Feeding small quantities at a time is better for any cat with a tendency to vomit as some cats overeat, and eat too quickly, adding to the digestion problem. Suggest you work with your vet for some recommendations on what diet to try, there are now lots of hypoallergenic diets on the market. When changing food it helps if you make any diet changes slowly and gradually.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
December 28, 2012 05:46AM
There may be several common reasons why cats are vomit up their dry food after eating. It's advisable to take advice from veterinary doctors for the treatments.
January 04, 2013 11:34AM
Couldn't put it better myself.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved