VetClick Discussion Forum

Cat tooth question with photos

Posted by Danielleevec 
Cat tooth question with photos
October 05, 2012 11:37PM
Hello,

Just noticed one of my cats front teeth which in comparison to my other 3 cats front teeth which are all short he has 1 odd looking long wonkyish one! Here 2 photos so you can see. And also a photo of him with me bot forcing his mouth open smiling smiley he is eat normally but surely it shouldnt be like this?! Would it cause problems in future? Does it need removing? Is it ok to have? Many thanks

[i46.tinypic.com]

[i45.tinypic.com]

[i48.tinypic.com]
Re: Cat tooth question with photos
October 08, 2012 06:43PM
Hi Danielle

Yes as you say, that corner incisor tooth does look unusually large in your photos and a bit wonky. Assuming he lets you check his teeth does he mind you touching that one? If so that might be because it is sore or sensitive. I can't say why he should have one unusual tooth like that but I am guessing he is quite young by his other teeth which look clean and healthy. He may have been born with one slightly abnormal tooth. It may be fine now but could get gum disease and cause problems in the future if it traps food or builds up tartar so keep checking his mouth and to find out more certainly you should take him for regular dental checks with your vet.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
October 09, 2012 06:55AM
Hi, thank you for your reply. He is nearly 7yrs old. Its hard to open his mouth. It took a million attempts to get those photos and lots lf scratches, typical cat hehehe. Bless him. I never known a cat with such a long incisor like that. He eats dry biscuits and wet food so i assume his teeth arent sore. Im more worried of it continues to grow it will grow into his bottom gum. I will book into my local vets and let them check it out. Its weird isnt it. Thank you very much.
October 12, 2012 05:09PM
Hi Danielle,

Sorry about the scratches! Your cat had me fooled about his age and I had thought he was maybe lots younger because, apart from that one strange tooth, the rest of his front teeth look really clean and healthy. Rabbit's teeth grow throughout their lives but cat's teeth don't continue to grow after adulthood so the strange tooth wont get any longer. Certainly though it could develop a problem, become loose and/or start to irritate him. Its good that it hasn't bothered him at all up to now but the best idea would be to let your vet check his mouth. If nothing needs to be done just keep a watch on him for the future, and hope you don't get scratched doing that. Best wishes.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved