VetClick Discussion Forum

Depo Medrone side affects in cats

Posted by Laurasp 
Depo Medrone side affects in cats
September 29, 2012 01:45PM
My 14 year old cat has been having 3 weekly injections of depo medrone for the past couple of months now. I have suddenly noticed very pronounced muscle wasting of the back legs and he sometimes appears unsteady. I know muscle loss can be a side affect from using steroids but I was wondering if once the treatment finishes whether the muscle mass will improve again. He hopefully had his last injection last week
Re: Depo Medrone side affects in cats
October 01, 2012 09:39PM
Hi

You dont mention why he was having the steroid injections. You have to weigh up benefits versus side effects of any such treatment. Generally cats are more resistant to the side effects of steroids than dogs and I couldn't say what the muscle wastage is definitely due to. Depo Medrone is certainly a commonly used long-acting depot steroid, beneficial for various conditions. Best things would be to monitor him closely and to discuss his problem with your vet who, having treated him, will be able to assess him further.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved