VetClick Discussion Forum

Guinea Pig refuses to walk

Posted by Selina 
Selina
Guinea Pig refuses to walk
September 28, 2012 12:57AM
My guinea pig isn't a year old yet and he eats well and drinks lots of water but he waits for me to bring that all to him. He refuses to walk. At times, if it results to him walking he kind of hops or drags his back legs. I want to know how I can help him. How I can get him to walk again.
Re: Guinea Pig refuses to walk
October 01, 2012 08:17PM
Hi Selina

Guinea pigs are normally very active little animals and scurry around a lot. So it's abnormal for your guinea pig to not move much. It sounds like the reason he is reluctant to move is that he has a problem with his back legs which is the cause. You really should get that checked out by a vet to see how bad the problem is and if there is any treatment that can be given to help him. Other than that there's little you can do to make him walk again. You are helping him though by taking his food and water to him and by making it easy for him to get access to it. Sadly if the problem has been present for a while and there is nerve damage to his back legs there may not be much treatment that can be offered but it is worth getting him checked by your vet.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved