VetClick Discussion Forum

Dog mini seizure

Posted by Racer 
Racer
Dog mini seizure
September 18, 2012 10:37AM
Hi. Our dog had a miniature stroke-like seizure. It only lasted seconds, during which he seemed to suddenly stiffen and look uncomfortable. Since then he seems to have lost the sight of one eye and is bumping into things, has had one incident of incontinence, and seems disoriented at times. He keeps licking his bladder area and abdomen. What could have caused this? He also had a lick granule recently which suggested something was bothering him.
Re: Dog mini seizure
September 18, 2012 08:53PM
Hi

These are quite worrying symptoms that you describe for your dog. I am sorry to say your description of a stroke or a seizure type episode certainly could indicate there being some major problem arising within his brain. The fact that he has now lost sight in one eye is a further big concern for a problem in his central nervous system. You will need to see your vet for an assessment of his general health and more specifically his nervous system function. Your vet can advise you on what diagnostic tests need to be carried out to find the cause of his symptoms.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Racer
September 19, 2012 09:20AM
by the time we got him to the vets he'd recovered from the worst of it. The vet doesn't seem to know what it is: suggested 'old dog encephalitis' or the beginnings of senility. They've put him on tablets which increase blood flow to the brain and have talked about a cjd scan if it continues. He seems better in himself, isn't knocking into things as much but has definitely lost some sight on one side.
September 20, 2012 09:11AM
Hi

Thanks for the feedback, a scan of his brain is the way forward to diagnose a brain problem, if its needed. Its a relief to know he's a bit better. Hope the improvement continues.

Racer
September 24, 2012 07:46AM
hi, he had another episode at the weekend - not a stroke, but was laid down flat for several hours. Since then he has been fine, much better actually. Seems to have recovered his eyesight/balance etc. The vet mentioned a CT scan when we first went but doesn't seem in a rush to do one. However I've taken a urine sample in today as he occasionally still seems bothered by his bladder region - there's a very slight dribble now and then, just a few drops but unusual for him
September 27, 2012 09:47AM
Hi again

Still having a few problems then, but things are being investigated in a logical way, it doesnt hurt to do tests one at a time and gradually especially if he's staying generally much better. Just watch (what's his name? ) your dog very closely which it sounds like you do. A urine sample test was a useful thing to do as part of further work up of his problem. Hope things stay improved for him.

Racer
September 28, 2012 05:53PM
hello and thanks for that, Cathy. The urine test showed some proteins so they've done a blood test. Waiting on that now. He seems mostly fine if not back to his old self. His abdomen has looked bigger on occasion. His urine was darker yellow the other day, which prompted me to take a sample, but has been normal since
October 01, 2012 09:22PM
Hi Racer

Again its good to know that he's better not worse and that there's some close monitoring of his problems still happening.
Best wishes for him continuing to stay well.

Racer
October 03, 2012 11:01AM
hi following the urine test (some proteins/bilirubin, if correct spelling) the blood test has indicated raised white blood cells, so he has been put on antibiotics for an infection. The earlier seizure-type sypmtoms have cleared up entirely as far as I can see. He is still on tablets to increase blood supply to the brain.
There have been no more mini strokes or collapse-type episodes, or any further incontinence that I'm aware of. He still doesn't quite seem his old self - less interested in ball and such - and sometimes his abdomen seems a bit big to me. The vet found that his prostate was enlarged so they have given him an injection to try and reduce it by mimicking the effects of castration, which may be a step for later on although I'm not too keen. It's all quite complex. Do you think these are separate issues that have all come on at the same time or could they be linked in some way?? He's always been a supremely fit and active dog

thanks Cathy
Racer
October 05, 2012 12:22PM
Hi Racer,

Here's my honest answer, you are too right it's complex! I'm not going to try and guess how his previous seizure-type episodes might relate to his enlarged prostate. Sometimes symptoms like this can link but other times just be coincidentaI and it's not helpful for me to speculate. I am really pleased he's had no more collapses and think your vet is obviously chasing things down in a very logical way, I think I said that before. I agree that a hormone injection is a very appropriate treatment to deal with an enlarged prostate, especially for a dog who has suffered some previous health problems which might make surgery less desirable. Castration can still be considered later if indicated. His test results suggest he may be dealing with a current urine infection, that could be linked to the enlarged prostate in which case the antibiotics will help. Keep getting him checked and follow the course of treatment, clearly you've got to see how he responds.

Racer
October 20, 2012 08:47AM
Hi Cathy
I'm afraid our dog has died. He had seemed much better but suddenly had another collapse and I rushed him to the out of hours vet, where they examined him, then did more tests and found him to be very anaemic, to the point of possibly needing a transfusion, and his abdomen again swollen. Ultrasound and X-rays were inconclusive but through investigation they found blood in his abdomen. They had to open him up to see what the problem was and found numerous small tumours, which had spread from a bigger one on his spleen. They said the kindest thing would be to put him to sleep before he came round from the anaesthetic. Naturally I am devastated as I had him from a puppy and he was still such a fit and active dog who was seemingly in fine health: he hadn't been himself lately but I didn't see this coming.
October 24, 2012 05:54PM
Hi Racer

I am truly sorry to hear this. His symptoms were very worrying and difficult to work out right from the start of the first collapse. Sadly, tumours had to be one possible cause and pinpointing where they were located isn't always easy. I couldn't have worked that out for you from his symptoms as they were so varied. The fact that the tumours had already spread means that your vet could not do anything more for him and, as he was so poorly I agree it was kinder to let him go without recovering from the operation. It's very sad and I hope in time you take some comfort from happy memories of his life with you. Kind regards.

Racer
October 27, 2012 08:22AM
Thank you for you kind words Cathy. I think that because the tumours were so internal, there was nothing to suggest that they were there - apart from, with hindsight, the collapse and the blood tests, but which could indicate other causes. He was a tremendously healthy and active dog until this happened, but it seems to be one of those things than nobody could have protected him from. It will take me a long time to get over the shock as well as the loss. The only positive way I can look at it is that he had a fantastic life for all the time he was here, and didn't suffer. He was a special dog and I am lucky to have known him.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved