VetClick Discussion Forum

intermittent acute lameness 5yr old gt dane

Posted by tess 
tess
intermittent acute lameness 5yr old gt dane
August 15, 2012 11:39PM
i have a 5 yeas old gt dane who went 9/10th lame last monday with some loss of proprioception in her left foreleg. The vet found it difficult to identify what area but there was a pain response from manipulation of the elbow. She had a week on previcox and rest and within 3 days was 90% better. She has had increased exercise since monday this week, no problems. Tonight after laying on her bed, the lameness is almost as bad as before. No vocalisation, just a depressed, lame dog. Do you have any idea? Many thanks
Re: intermittent acute lameness 5yr old gt dane
August 18, 2012 08:50AM
Hi Tess,
It's good that she responded to rest and NSAID medical treatment, but it sounds like it may have simply masked the symptoms whilst she was undergoing treatment. You really need to bring her back to your vet, so that they can instigate a full diagnostic work-up to try to determine the cause of the problem including xrays of the affected limb. She is getting a bit older and so unfortunately she will be more at risk of old age diseases. It would also be worthwhile having a detailed discussion about her nutrition and what you're feeding her as an imbalanced diet can also have a significant impact on the bones of giant dogs. I hope that helps a little, but please do keep me posted.
Best of luck,
Zara The Vet

[www.vetvoice.co.uk]
[www.zarathevet.com]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved