VetClick Discussion Forum

Hamster can't move back legs

Posted by katiemc 
Hamster can't move back legs
August 14, 2012 09:18PM
Please help and advise - Our 1 year old Syrian hamster was fine today, drinking and on her wheel. About an hour ago I actually thought she had died,she was lying on her side with her back legs raised. A little while later I saw her breathing, she tried to get up and turn but can't move her back legs at all, I have put her onto her front and placed some bedding around her,her back legs are just splayed, she can't move, is v v still,but occasionaaly will move.

Please help
Re: Hamster can't move back legs
August 18, 2012 08:10AM
Hello Katiemc,
I'm sorry I didn't see this post until now, but if your hamster is still alive please take her to a vet straight away. No hamster in a natural state should be immobile and unable to move their hindlimbs. This could indicate spinal trauma from a fall. Please let me know what has happened.
Zara
August 18, 2012 08:26AM
Hi Zara
Thanks for replying, unfortunately she dieda little while after writing the post. I'm not sure what happened. Thanks for reply
August 20, 2012 08:04AM
Hi Katiemc,
I'm so sorry to hear that, but thank you for letting me know. If anyone else reading this post has a hamster that is in anyway unable to move normally at any stage or has a sudden change in behaviour, please don't hesitate in taking them to your local vet. They're stoic little creatures, but they feel pain and can suffer just like us.
Take care,
Zara The Vet

[www.vetvoice.co.uk]
[www.zarathevet.com]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved