VetClick Discussion Forum

Cat With Healed Broken Tail - Amputation Needed?

Posted by Kim K 
Kim K
Cat With Healed Broken Tail - Amputation Needed?
December 16, 2011 08:06PM
I just recently returned to the United States after living in China for the past year. While I was there my parents looked after my two cats for me in the US. They live in a rural area and the cats go out regularly and are avid hunters. Both have had all the standard vaccinations/inoculations. I immediately noticed that one of my cats has had his tail broken in two places; both fractures are in the lower half of his tail (not near the base by his rear). The skin at the end of his tail has been ripped off and the last two bones are partially exposed. It's clearly an old wound, probably the result of a fight with another animal - he doesn't seem to be in any pain, and the broken bones have fused together so that his tail is crooked. He can move the base of his tail but it goes limp right before the break. As far as I'm aware he doesn't have any urinary or rectal incontinence. My main concern is possible infection. Is this is an emergent situation or is it best to leave it alone? Thanks!
Re: Cat With Healed Broken Tail - Amputation Needed?
December 18, 2011 12:46PM
If bone is exposed then amputation is best or infection will set in.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved