VetClick Discussion Forum

Cob with no tail

Posted by little devil 
little devil
Cob with no tail
June 14, 2004 06:43AM
I have a 2 year old cob who had a beautifully thick and full tail up untill this week when it has started falling out, we originally just thought it was his old foaly hair but he now has considerably less tail than an arab!! He seems to have small bald patches on his body also, is this serious? The only change in his diet is that of changing from haylage to hay? Could he be lacking in something that he was getting from the haylage? Any help would be greatful.

Thanks
Re: Cob with no tail
June 14, 2004 08:13AM
I think that this could be due to seasonal parasite infestation. Various conditions are prevalent at this time of the year such as sweet itch or other skin infestations. As yours is a young horse, It is particularly susceptible to ring worm. I would advise you to call out your vet to do a skin scrape and he/she can then advise you accordingly.
Since you have gone from haylage to hay. I don't think that this would contribute. However haylage is higher in protein than hay and usually problems occur the other way round! More likely to be parasitic but best to get the vet out to confirm. A medicated shampoo or skin treatment may be required. Best of luck.
littledevil
June 14, 2004 09:07AM
Thank you very much for your quick reply, I'll get on the the vet today!
June 14, 2004 09:27AM
That's a not a problem Little Devil...I have to tell you that I am not a Vet myself, but have had much to do with horses over the years! I will be really interested to know how it all goes for you!
littledevil
June 14, 2004 02:24PM
No problem, I'll keep you posted! I hope its nothing serious
June 14, 2004 04:04PM
I must say don't worry too much doesn't sound too drastic!Chin up!
June 19, 2004 07:39AM
Hi,
Have you de-wormed him? Some bowel worms can cause an irritation round the anus which causes a horse to rub his backside against something and pull out the tail hair.
Walter
littledevil
June 22, 2004 07:01AM
He is up to date with his worming programme. His tail is not rubbed it has literally just fallen out by the roots! It isnt ring worm or anything like that, one vet came out last week and is baffled as to what could be causing it! There is something up with him he just looks so sad at the moment!

So we threw out all his straw bed at the weekend and power washed his stable with disinfectant and have now put him on shavings (incase there was some sort of mite in the straw). The vet is coming out tomorow to do a biopsy from his tail to see if they cana find out what could be causing this! I'll keep you all informed.

Thanks for all your replies.
June 22, 2004 08:35AM
Thanks Little Devil!!!!! following with interest! Hope all goes well. I can always learn something new!
littledevil
June 23, 2004 11:12AM
After monitoring my cobs behaviour all week we were actually thinking that he could be missing our mare (who is on box rest due to an injured leg) I think he could be so depressed at not seeing her as he does love her to bits. It sounds silly I know but hey it has been known. he has been so jumpy and depressed this week, hardly eating his hay! So last night we put the mare in the stable next to him and do you know when we came home he had eaten all his hay and looked abit cheerier.

The vet came out today, decided against the biopsy and we think he has taken a reaction to something and the stress of being apart from the mare could maybe not be helping! So rearranging boxes so they can be next to each other and just to monitor everything. Vet gave him an invermectine jag and gave him something just to take the edge of him as he is so nervy just now which is totally not like him!

SOrry for the essay! I'll keep you all up to date on what is happening!
June 23, 2004 12:31PM
Thanks for the update.....Alopecia in humans can be a direct result of stress so I suppose it's not impossible! It is an interesting case and I am always eager to learn about things that are new....Rearranging the stables is good but it might be worth working on the seperation anxiety gradually to avoid problems at a later date. Best of luck and let us know. Your cob is young so early training should be easier!If it is parasitic the shot of ivermectine should sort things out.
littledevil
March 03, 2005 03:10PM
Just thought you might be interested in knowing that my cobs tail is now growing back and is rather like a toilet brush at the moment! Still very short but it is getting thicker evryday. Fingers crossed its not a seasonal thing and it doesnt all fall out this summer!

Regards
Little devil and baby cob!
March 03, 2005 04:05PM
Great!
March 03, 2005 04:13PM
Brilliant news thanks for the update!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved