VetClick Discussion Forum

signs and symptoms of hip dysplagia

Posted by don novicki 
don novicki
signs and symptoms of hip dysplagia
April 20, 2004 02:47AM
I have a male, 5 year old unneutered Chessie. He is in fantastic physical condition and is used in the field for duck and bird hunting . The other day I went to pet him on the hind quarters and with even the slightest touch he screamed out in pain followed by a tremor of a few seconds. He has not shown any symptoms of stiffness or pain in his daily runs/walks and im wondering if this is indicative of a qreater problem that just now may be coming to light. His sire and dam were rated "good" by OFA if that has any bearing on his hpi situation. I have a vet appointment scheduled for this Thursday and I would like to know what types of questions I should be asking and what types of tests they should do. Also, and maybe Im way off base here but would a swollen anal gland or something internal cause this type of reaction. I remember one time before when he was a pup he had his anal gland "expressed" as he was having some discomfort in that area back then. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.....thanks
Re: signs and symptoms of hip dysplagia
April 20, 2004 07:46AM
Hi, Don,
The signs you describe do not sound to me like hip dysplasia. I think that your alternative suggestion of some internal affliction is more likely to be correct - an acutly inflamed prostate gland or anal gland, for example.
HD is really a form of arthritis, and like other forms of arthritis is most painful following rest after exercise, as well as a chronic stiffness in the hips.
If a rectal exam shows no probs. with prostate or anal gland, an x-ray for HD may be required. If that is clear, more detailed investigations will be necessary.
Walter
don novicki
April 21, 2004 01:42AM
Thanks Walter for the reply. I have an appointment Thurs and will let you know of the disposition....
Bob O'Brien
May 07, 2004 01:41AM
I have a 3 year old yellow lab sharpe (sp) mix. In the last few says she has had problems putting weight on her right leg. I noticed it yesterday when she got up she favored that leg. This morning again she favored it. Tonight after being in her crate for a bit she wanted out to the bathroom. When i let her out she could barely get to the door and I had to help he down the stairs. Earlier this afternoon she avidly chased a ball all over the bag yard and played tug-o-war with me. Could this be Hip Dysplagia. If not any suggestions. She never runs lose and is always in my sight or with me.

Thanks

Bob
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved