VetClick Discussion Forum

Feline Autoimmune Disease

Posted by misato 
Feline Autoimmune Disease
February 25, 2008 05:21PM
This question is a little out-there but my current vet I'm sure has the wrong diagnosis for my cat.

Many years ago when my cats were about a year old they broke out in scabbing over their face, especially over their nose, above the eyes and on their ears. Samples were sent to the Royal Veterinary College of London when the vet at the time had no idea what it was. It turned out to be a rare hereditary autoimmune disease where their immune system works overtime and starts damaging healthy cells (which is where the scabbing over their face comes in). In one of my cats, she even had swollen paws and could barely walk.

The solution was to give them steroids to suppress their over-active immune system and this worked almost instantly. You could see an improvement the day after the first tablet.

It's rare that an outbreak occurs once it's under control. They've been weaned off the steroids many years ago and have been fine. My male cat only recently got another outbreak and I've changed vets since then. The vet that's currently seeing him is useless. He's got the disease all wrong and thinks it's feline aids even though we've told him it's not (the correct disease is even on his file!). He seems to think that suppressing the immune system isn't going to work (with feline aids the immunity is low but as I've told the vet a million times, it's not aids).

Finally, after the third journey to the vet I felt like I had to bully the vet into giving steroids to my cat. I even said I'll sign a disclaimer, I just want my cat better. It's so frustrating when you know what's wrong with your pet but the vet is adamant it's not that disease and refuses to treat it. My cat now has a high temperature and is very very lethargic and overall just giving up. I had to tell the vet that my cat will die from it if left untreated. He should have known that himself.

If you managed to get through all that rambling, my question is: what is this hereditary autoimmune disease called? I've Googled every key word I can think of but I can't find anything and I can't remember what the original vet said since that was over fourteen years ago. I'd really just like to actually tell my current vet what the disease is next time I go back for more steroids.

Thanks for any help.
Re: Feline Autoimmune Disease
February 25, 2008 08:08PM
Hi,

'Auto-immune disease' is as good a label as any - we all know what it means.
Why not insist on a referral to the RVC, or your nearest University Veterinary School if you are not satisfied that your vet has the right diagnosis?.
Bear in mind, however, that this may NOT be the same condition that your previous cat had, though it may look very similar.

W
February 25, 2008 09:52PM
Thanks for the reply. I know it's called something complicated but I can't remember. I thought I'd ask to see if anyone knew anyway. smiling smiley Luckily I'm moving in a few weeks so I can get a new vet. I know it's the same condition since he had it when he was younger and it's one of those things that's always in his blood but is mostly in suppression. The tell-tale scabbing is the main sign. His poor ear is nearly all pink where he's scratched the scabs off. My cat had one steroid tablet this morning and already he's more perked up than he was. It just feels like a complete role reversal when you end up telling your vet what the condition is lol!

Thanks,
~Misa
MichyD
May 03, 2009 06:06PM
Could it be DLE or SLE (Discoid or Systemic Lupus Erythematosis). Discoid LE is characterized by rashes or lesions, especially on the face. Also painful swelling in the joints and connective tissue. Not alot of solid information about it's hereditary nature, but auto-immune disease has a higher prevalence among the offspring of other sufferers so it seems likely. Steroids are absolutely the front line of defense and can often be tapered off as the disease goes into remission. Watch their kidney function carefully as that's often the first major organ to suffer in lupus patients. Supporting the immune system with supplements may also help.
Carbynel
September 13, 2011 06:33PM
This sounds identical to what my cat has. He also has sores on his face, scabs and sore ears, and it also spread to his feet and between his toes. He was also biting at his paw pads. Steroids also has fixed the problem to a point, but I am unable to wean him off of the steroids without the illness flaring up again.

The name of the auto immune disorder my cat has is:

Pemphigus Foliaceus

If your vet is not convinced, they can determine this through a biopsy. Ask them to run a test to check.

My feline dermatologist is wonderful. Her name is Anita Patel. You can contact her here: [www.dermatologyreferrals.co.uk]
September 15, 2011 07:45AM
Just a note: It would be unlikely to be able to wean your cat off steroids with this disease.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved