VetClick Discussion Forum

high globulin level in a bischon

Posted by faith hersh 
faith hersh
high globulin level in a bischon
February 20, 2009 10:00PM
My question is about my almost 12 year old bischon.She was drinking and urinating more than usual as she has never been a big water drinker so I took her to my vet who did a urine analysis and bloodwork.She he says is definitely not diabetic everything normal in blood and urine except for slightly raised white count in urine ever so slightly.She was eating fine and active as she usually is.He said since she is not straining to urinate I should just leave her alone and not treat with antibiotics,and I agreed.It has been about 10 days now and she is not hungry.She is eating some but she also hides and is not acting like herself as I know my dog and I am getting concerned.I brought her back to the vet and he reran all bloods with a new sample and urine.All bloods were normal except the globulin was 4.8.Her glucose was101 she had eaten a slice of cheese in the morning'She is not vomiting or having diareah,some soft bowel but in the last the days it has not and she is eatinf fillet mignon she likes that and I will give her anything as long as she eats .She weighs 19 pounds and has not lost weight yet and I want to clarify this before she gets sicker.My vet tells me there is nothing wrong with my dog but something is not right.I know I am a little anxious but I just lost my husbands labrador an age 13 to canncer of the splean and liver 2 months ago and I had 2 previous dogs die from cancer ,so I always think the worst.In the second urine test everything was normal.Only thing off at 4.8 was the globulin.She walks okay and fast but sometimes I hear her with a very low cry.'# years ago she had 13 teeth pulled and she recently had a bad ear infection which I was treating with a baytril wash and otomax.I dont know if it means anything but about one week after the treatment started I noticed the increase in urinating and drinking'He also gave her some pain medicine by mouth metacam but I only gave her 1 drop instead of 4 and I only gave it to her every other day for a week..Once before he had given her prednisone and she was trembling and diareah from it,so I stopped it. Iread bischons do not do well with prednisone.Any help will be appreciated'
Re: high globulin level in a bischon
February 21, 2009 09:06AM
Hi,

I cannot be sure, and I would expect your vet to have considered it, but she may have a low-grade urinary tract infection. That would account for the white cell content in the urine and the abdominal pain.

I think that a course of antibiotics would help.

My suspicions could be confirmed by getting a urine sample cultured for bacterial content. That would also identify the appropriate antibiotic to use.

W
tam
Re: high globulin level in a bischon
September 12, 2011 07:50PM
I have a Boxer with the same thing. Her globulin level was 5.2. Drinking lots of water. We tested for diabetes first and it was negative. Then tested for bone marrow cancer and it was negative. Suspect is lyme disease or possibly a tumor. She is now on 2 antibiotics and will be retested in 2 weeks. Next test will be xrays and/ or ultrasound to look for tumors. She also has had allergies all of her life and had to discontinue allergy meds due to her getting pancreatitus from the medication. Hope this was somewhat helpful in what to look for. Good Luck.

Okay seen this was posted in 2009. Any news on what was the cause?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved