VetClick Discussion Forum

Canine Vomiting

Posted by Valerie 
Valerie
Canine Vomiting
June 15, 2005 02:52PM
My 15 year old Dachshund started vomiting in the last few weeks. It doesn't happen everyday, but when it does, the episodes can go on for hours. Last night he vomited a minimum of 11 times (mostly bile and water) until 2:30 in the morning.

5 Years ago he was diagnosed with an benign anal tumor, which was surgically removed. The tumor has returned and the vet wants to perform tests to see if he can survive another surgery. At 15 years old, I'm not sure I want to take the chance. Aside from the vomiting, he eats well, plays and seems happy.

Can the vomiting have anything to do with the tumor which recently returned?

Re: Canine Vomiting
June 15, 2005 03:39PM
Hi, Valerie,
Your Dachshund's vomiting may well be connected with his previous history - he may have either kidney or liver problems, which may or may not result from secondary tumours in these organs.

You have done well to keep him for 15 years - unless the vomiting can be easily controlled I would, if I were you, carefully examine my motives for keping him going when he is clearly not a well and happy dog.
One of the privileges - and responsibilities - that we, as pet owners have, is to ease the passing of our pets. It is not cruel to have them put to sleep when life becomes a burden to them.
Walter
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved