VetClick Discussion Forum

Swollen Shin

Posted by Sarah 
Sarah
Swollen Shin
May 26, 2005 05:27PM
I have a 17'3" ID who sustained a kick injury to his hind leg shin (canon bone) about 2inches below the front of the hock joint. He was lame for a couple of weeks and was on bute and box rest.
It was very hard to heal as the cut was deep and dirty. It has now healed beautifully and he is sound, this is about 6 weeks later now, however, he still has a swelling just to the left of the injury.
It feels very much like a haematoma consistency, reduces in size after work or when out and if left unbandaged this 'pocket' comes up. The leg itself doesn't swell, it is literally like a pocket of fluid. It is slightly warmer when swollen but nothing major and he is completely sound. I can squeeze it and prod it and move it around and he never flinches, and for him if there was the tiniest bit of pain he'd be rolling around in agony!!
any ideas what it could be, can you get haematoma's anywhere? or is it more likely to be tendon/ligament damage?? this pocket swelling has only come up in the last couple of weeks
Re: Swollen Shin
May 26, 2005 06:57PM
Gentle massage often can disperse a hematoma but it is always best to seek the advice of a Vet (I am not a Vet) A chronic hematoma still requires Veterinary attention and will probably if not decreased by massage need surgery to drain it. Since it has been 6 weeks since the accident I would seek aVet's advice A.S.A.P so that a possible ultrasound can be arranged in case it is not obviously diagnosed. You can get hematomas at the site of an injury as they are literally blood blisters but are classified according to how long they take to develop and where abouts they are. Have you tried cold hosing? I would get a professional out and ask advice.
Best of luck.
May 28, 2005 06:15PM
Hi, Sarah,
From your description this is a fluid-filled bursa, which may well disappear spontaneously in time. It would be best to have your vet look at it - draining it and putting a little long-action steroid may well fix it completely.
Walter
Sarah
June 02, 2005 10:06AM
Am cold hosing at the minute as spoken to vet and he has advised to do this and pooultice for a week and see if there is much change. I can ride him a tleast but aesthetically may need to get it drained. Thanks for your advice
Sarah
June 02, 2005 10:07AM
This is what my vet has advised after I try cold hosing and poultice for a week... Thanks for your advice
June 02, 2005 03:04PM
Hi, Sarah,
Hope all goes well.
Walter
Sarah
June 02, 2005 03:28PM
Thanks for your advice

Me too!! typical competition time, I'm sure he does this to himself!!

Thanks again
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved