VetClick Discussion Forum

Arthritis

Posted by Pat 
Pat
Arthritis
May 03, 2005 08:19AM
Arthritis
My dog is 15 she has arthritis and is taking rimadyl and synoquin.

She had been taking Arthiaid for about a year as there was signs of arthritis developing.
In January 2005: She seemed better until she jumped a 6 foot gap – but only jumped 3 feet and had a bad fall.
After she walked home OK however I took her to the vet for a check-up and she was given rimadyl (2 weeks) and Arthiaid also an anti- inflammatory an injection.
She was so much better with this after about 4- weeks I returned and asked if she needed to have rimadyl again this was done.

At this point I changed vets as the Vet I normally saw retired and I thought if I am to see young new vets I may as well go to the one nearer home.
Now she is on rimadyl and synoquin (1 a day) I am told 1 is the maximum for her weight (13.2 kg).

Now we are in May and since March she has gone down hill, walks are slow limps, and today she could not get out of her favourite sleeping bed (she has three but only uses two these days) eventually she did but could not put her right paw to the ground.

After the original injection and rimadyl (14 days) she was 5 years younger.
Since then she has got worse.
What else can I do?

Re: Arthritis
May 03, 2005 01:34PM
Hi, Pat,
The recommended dose of Rimadyl is 2 to 4 mg per kilogram body weight daily, given in two equal doses. Rimadyl tables come in two sizes, 20mg and 50 mg. 13kg x 2mg = 26mg daily, or 13 x 4mg = 52 mg daily, this equals one 20mg tablet at the lowe dose, and 1 50mg tablet at the highrer dose.
I am sorry, Arthiaid and Synoquin I know nothing about.
Osteo-arthritis is a progressive disease, and treatment helps relieve the pain and symptoms, but does little to halt the progress of the condition.
You do not mention her breed, but if she is one of the larger breeds, she is doing quite well to be around at 15, limoping or not!
Walter
May 03, 2005 11:18PM
Pat, if you are lucky enough to have a vet practising acupuncture anywhere near you, that would be another option.

Richard Allport BVetMed, VetMFHom, MRCVS
May 04, 2005 07:50AM
Hi, Pat,
Yes, Richard is right.
Arthritis is one of the conditions that does seem to respond very well to acupuncture.
Walter
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved