VetClick Discussion Forum

flatulence problem

Posted by Rachel Larkum 
Rachel Larkum
flatulence problem
May 01, 2005 01:33AM
Hi
My Labrador sadly was sold to me with a tummy bug. With the help of the vet. He is now on the mend ( no diarrhoea and sickness). He is now eating regular meals and seems well, but the problem is;he is suffering from flatulence (very smelly). It has been a few days now and showing no signs of impovement.
Is it due to his illness?
Will the flatulence go?
Is there anything i can give him to stop or improve the problem?
Do i need to tell the vet?
Could there be an under linning problem (samething serious)?
I am guessing it is down to his illness and the wind problem will go in time, i would be greatful for same advice and sorry for all the questions, it just be nice to get my house smelling nice again and having friends round.

Many thanks Rachel
Re: flatulence problem
May 01, 2005 07:41AM
Hi, rachel,
I understand the problem - flatulent labs are a well known phenomenon!
It may well improve once the tummy upset has completely cleared up, and changes to his diet could help, too. Ask your vet.
You cannot blame or punish him for it - it is completely out of his control!
Walter
Rachel Larkum
May 01, 2005 11:58AM
Hi Walter
Thank you for your advice, I was wondering how long does it takes for a tummy bug to totaly clear up? Do not worry I would not dream of punishing him, he is so gorgeous.
Many thanks Rachel
May 01, 2005 03:55PM
Hi, Rachel,
Recovery period depends on the cause of the problem - if it was just 'something he ate' he should be ok once the offending material has passed through.
If it as actual infection, such as salmonella or shigella, it could take longer.
In any case, you and anyone else, especially children or old people, should be very careful about hand washing after handling him.
Walter
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved