VetClick Discussion Forum

Cat with bad breath

Posted by Lucy 
Lucy
Cat with bad breath
April 18, 2005 06:54AM
My cat has the worst breath I have ever smelt in my entire life! The only thing I can describe it as is rotton fish! This in turn makes him smell all the time as he cleans. I have though about getting him a scale & polish, but I am concerned about putting under anaesthetic as he is 9 years old. He has lost a tooth at the front and his gums are a little pink, but I dont think hes in any pain and he is eating dry biscuits and meat with no probs.
Any ideas what to do?
Re: Cat with bad breath
April 18, 2005 07:37AM
Hi, Lucy,
There are two common causes of bad breath in cats - severe dental problems with lots of tartar round the teeth, and chronic kidney failure.
At 9 years of age, unless there is chronic kidney failure, a GA for a dental overhaul should not be too dangerous.
Take him to your vet, who may advise a blood test to check out his kidneys, if that is OK he could clean up his mouth, and advise on a diet to reduce the likliehood of a recurrance.
Either way, your cat does appear to need some veterinary attention.
Walter
April 18, 2005 10:36PM
Walter is, as usual, absolutely right: I would add that if there is a severe gum inflammation (gingivitis), then Co enzyme Q 10 (30mg daily) is really helpful in minimising symptoms of sore gums.

I'd also add that (in my experience) giving a cat something really chewy, such as raw chicken necks or wings, to gnaw on helps keep the teeth clean and tartar free.

Richard Allport BVetMed, VetMFHom, MRCVS
Lucy
April 19, 2005 01:14PM
Hello,
thank you both for your advice.... hes not going to like me, but hes off to the vet!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved