VetClick Discussion Forum

House Training for Dogs.

Posted by Michelle 
Michelle
House Training for Dogs.
April 07, 2005 10:25AM
Hi Walter,
I wonder if you could help me please.
I have an 18 month old Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Bitch), I live in a flat and bought her as a Puppy.
I used Newspaper for her before she had all her Jabs, Since then i have been unable to house train her.
I can walk for hours with her and try to encourage her to releive herself outdoors but to no avail.
As soon as we come home she will releive herself on the kitchen floor, she won't go anywhere else in the house.
I also sent her to a friends for a few days to see if he could help, but she didn't releive herself in the time that she was there (inside or out).
Somebody in passing mentioned using Pepper, but i don't know what to do with it or if this is advisable.
I would really appreciate your advise on this subject as i'm at the end of my tether.
Thanks,
Michelle.
Re: House Training for Dogs.
April 07, 2005 12:34PM
ive got 4 puppies which need house training, what i do is put them in the kitchen (if you have a door its really usefull) put newspaper everywhere, and when you need something from the kitchen just becareful what you stand on. If that does not work take them for walks in the mornings afternoons, and take her out side most of the time, tyr and see weather she has a bladder problem, but i very much doubt it, just a suggestion.

Mary.

X MARY X
April 07, 2005 01:11PM
Hi, Michelle,
I had the same problem with a labrador bitch I once had.
I fixed it by buying an indoor kennel (more of a cage, really) and keeping her in that when she was in the house. Dogs will not soil their sleeping quarters. Take her out regularly after meals, ans try to keep her out until she performs. If you have her trained to 'go' to newspaper, take some with you and put it down in the same place outside every time, and if she does perform, make a great fuss of her.
If all else fails, get your vet to make an appointment with a dog behaviourist for you.
Walter
Michael West
April 07, 2005 05:37PM
Hi Michelle
Training puppies is easy really put them out to relieve themselves first thing in the morning,before and after every meal and last thing at night.Plenty of praise everytime they go, and of course there will be accidents.Animals love praise.
Caren Edmead
April 07, 2005 06:24PM
Micheal,
I have tried this, but as i said i live in a flat, so this poses as a problem at times.
Also, as shes now 18 months old it is hard.
Thanks,
Michelle.
Caren Edmead
April 07, 2005 06:49PM
Hi Walter,
Thanks for the advise, a friend had suggested the same thing, but i wasn't sure if this would work given her age.
Michelle.
Michael West
April 08, 2005 12:29PM
Here I go again but I don't think you should have a dog in a flat.
Caren Edmead
April 08, 2005 01:57PM
As you have probably gathered Micheal, i Placed the last few threads for a friend of mine.
Why do you not advise having a dog in a flat?
Once they are house trained, as long as they get regular exercise there is no reason why not to have them here.
Caren.
Michael West
April 08, 2005 07:46PM
Come on Caren common sense dictates flats are not suitable for dogs or cats.I wonder what Walter's opinion would be.
Caren Edmead.
April 09, 2005 07:05AM
Micheal,
I live in a 3 Bed Maisonette, which happens to be in a shared building, it is no smaller than a town house.
The only thing that you have and i don't is a garden, why is this such a big problem for you, as i said with plenty of regular exercise there isn't any reason not to have a dog here.
Yes i agree that you shouldn't keep a cat in a flat, the reasons being obvious, but this doesn't apply to a dog as they can be walked.
Also to be honest Micheal, even if i had a garden i wouldn't allow a dog in there to releive himself while i have small children playing in that area.
I find it fasinating Micheal, that you and i seem to have a difference of opinion on most of the subjects that i post on this site.
As for your comment about what Walter would think, when i placed the post for Michelle about House Training her dog i mentioned that she lives in a flat and Walter didn't seem to have a problem with that on answering my question.
Caren.
Caren Edmead
April 09, 2005 07:13AM
Michael,
I would just like to add that i am the friend that advised Michelle to buy a cage before she got Walters reply, it seems funny to me that i and the Vet have the same ideas on these matters and all you ever say is "Common Sense indicates that this is not a good idea", Michael i would like you to share your wisdom with me and explain your reasons in more detail please.
Caren.
April 09, 2005 07:19AM
Looks like you two need a referee here!
I think it all boils down to that well known phrase 'Responsible Dog Ownership'
If the breed selected is appropriate and the owner is able and propared to take the dog out regularly I see no problems with keeping a dog in a flat. Clearly a housebound person living in a studio flat should not have a Deerhound, but that is the extreme case. It need not always be a small dog that is best suited to a flat, however. Retired greyhounds make very suitable 'flat' pets. If they get their twenty minutes or so outside two or three times a day, they are quite happy sleeping the rest of the twenty four hours. They rarely get destructive through boredom. They make take a bit of effort in housetraining if they come straight out of the kennel, but otherwise settle very well.
Incidentally Caren, cats DO make very good pets for people living in flats. So long as they are NEVER let out, "what they haven't had they don't miss".
Michael, please forgive the pun and the impertinence, but you do seem to be rather 'dogmatic' in some your views!
Walter
Caren Edmead.
April 09, 2005 07:28AM
Thanks for that Walter, i have never owned a cat myself but do think it's a little unfair for them never to be let outside, although i do see what you mean about what they don't know they don't miss.
I grew up living in a flat and my father had two of the most obedient well mannered Mongrel dogs that you could ever care to meet.
They were taken for regular walks to the local green for exercise (Although were taught to poop in the gutter), they both lived very long, healthy and happy lives.
I do agree that the owners have to be very responsible, as i know a few people that are in the same situation and don't do things quite the same as i would.
Caren.
Michelle.
April 16, 2005 07:42AM
Hi Walter,
I just wanted to say thank soo much for the advise that you gave me for Roxy.
I went and bought a cage the very next day (Which she loves), within 3 days she was releiving herself outside (with lots of encouragement).
Now it is like second nature to her.
I am so pleased that i have my kitchen floor back after so long, lol
Can't thank you enough,
Michelle.
April 16, 2005 08:12AM
Hi, Michelle,
Wonderful news - thank you for telling me.
Pleased to have been of help.
walter
sue mccann
April 17, 2005 01:02AM
i have 4 staffy's, only one is a girl and she takes ages to do her toilet, especially if its raining, the boys are all quick. i run in and out with her all night as she won't go in my paved yard. when she finally goes up the entry at the back of my house, i give her loads of praise and shes getting better. now after many cold nights in the rain in my nightie they will all go for 'poo poo' and 'pee pee' on command. :-) though cassie is still always last. I take tehm to the woods and fields everyday and she's fine there! i think shes just fussy where she goes (probally cos my other 3 are always sniffing her bottom:-) ) maybe if you can get her in a routine of a good walk in the morning and then again about 7p.m it will be come a habit for her to go at that time, otherwise i agree a cage with bedding in it is a good idea. good luck
Michelle.
April 17, 2005 08:30AM
Sue,
Thanks ever so for the advice, as i stated to Walter in my last post using the "Cage" is working really well.
It appears though that Female Staffies are a little more stubborn, lol.
Michelle.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved