VetClick Discussion Forum

Iams Complete Puppy Meal.

Posted by Caren Edmead 
Caren Edmead
Iams Complete Puppy Meal.
March 26, 2005 09:45AM
Hi Again Walter,
I went and bought the Iams Complete for the Puppy, however i couldn't quite understand the feeding guide.
I think it's telling me to give him 60g per day (served as 3 meals).
Please will you let me know if this is the correct amount, Thanks,
Caren.
PS: I have 3 Children, so therefore you would think that buying a Pup would be a breeze, never realised how frustrating it could be trying to know what to do for the best for him, lol
Sorry to be a pain in the neck Walter, but all the advice you have given me so far has been very good.
Thanks again,
Caren.
Re: Iams Complete Puppy Meal.
March 26, 2005 11:37AM
Hi, Caren,
60g per day does not sound very much - are you sure that it not 60g PER KILO of the pup's weight? 60 g per day divided into three meals is only about threequarters of an ounce each meal.
The other important thing to remember, especially if you have children, is to make certain that he is dewormed before he leaves the breeder, and then do it again regularly. Your vet or a good petshop will be able to sell you de-worming treatment.
Walter
Caren Edmead
March 26, 2005 11:49AM
I am taking him for his first Jab on the way home from the Breeders, will they be able to worm him then? If so, will this take affect straight away?
Also, will the vet weigh him for me so that i know how much of this food to give him?
You were right, it is 60g per Kilo of his weight.
Thanks for the advice on getting him wormed, i didn't realise that this can cause any affect in young children.
I would like you to know that i very much appreciate all the advice that you have been giving me.
Caren.
March 26, 2005 04:12PM
Hi, Caren,
Glad we got the feeding sorted out - he would have ben very hungry on only 60g a day!
The vet will be able to sell you worm medicine when you go for the vaccination. You will also be advised about dosage and frequwency of dosing.
Good luck, and thanks for your comment.
Walter
Michael West
March 28, 2005 04:29PM
How about taking a stool specimen to your vet, and have it examined for worms.You may not need to worm your animal.
March 28, 2005 05:41PM
I do not agree. All puppies should be routinely wormed - it does no harm, and it is probably less expensive that having a faecal worm egg count carried out.
W
Caren Edmead
March 29, 2005 09:12AM
I will worm him, i do beleive that it does them no harm and as a child i remember that my father always made sure that our animals were wormed on a regular basis.
Thanks,
caren.
Michael West
March 29, 2005 11:36AM
Who said it does them no harm have you documentation to prove this ?
Caren Edmead
March 29, 2005 09:42PM
This reply is for Micheal West.
No i don't have documentation to prove that worming my puppy will do him no harm.
But i choose to do this for the same reason that i have my children vaccinated and give them most of the the medical advise thats given.
Animals have been around for years and so have Veterinary Surgeons, and if i was to beleive everything that i read in a Newspaper or on a Leaflet then my children wouldn't eat, live with Electricity or use handheld games.
I have learnt to judge my instinct and to gather advise and use it when i see fit.
I was wondering Micheal if you are a veterinary surgeon yourself???
Thanks,
Caren.
Michael West
March 29, 2005 10:30PM
Such blind faith ..not all animals have been around for years.I would suggest you look at the forum www.pets-mrsa.com.Its not all about mrsa- but it will give you an insight to the profession you are so proud off.
Caren Edmead
March 30, 2005 09:33AM
Micheal,
I did not so that i'm proud of the Veterinary Profession.
I was saying that i won't be scare mongored by people like yourself.
After all any one of us or our animals could seek urgent medical help at any time and if you have no faith then tell me Micheal who would you turn to??
You also didn't ask my question as to whether or not you are qualified to give me advise about my animals.
If i had wanted to take advise from anybody then i would have asked my neighbour.
Thanks,
Caren.

PS: Sorry about this Walter, but i feel quite strongly about all these people trying to scare everyone all the time.
Michael West
March 30, 2005 11:52AM
Caren I only told you to take a stool specimen along to your vet if you think your animals has worms and have it tested.Common sense don't you think and no it is not dearer than worming tablets-believe me.Much kinder to your animal ask Walter.
Caren Edmead
March 30, 2005 02:46PM
Micheal,
If you had read all of my Threads then you would know that i don't have my Puppy yet and that Walter had advised me to have him De-wormed before bringing him home because i have young children in the house,
Thanks,
caren.
Michael West
March 30, 2005 08:08PM
Walter has advised you to have him dewormed -what if he hasn't got worms got my thread Forum's are for opinions
Caren Edmead
March 30, 2005 08:17PM
ok Micheal,
So what if i follow your advise, collect him from the Breeders then take a Stool sample into the vets, then wait for the results.
If he does have worms then i am putting my 3 children at risk.
Or i could have him De-wormed anyway, know that my kids are safe and (Possibly) do him some minor harm with the De-worming treatment.
I don't know if you have children Micheal, but i value mine alot more than a Dog.
Don't get me wrong the Puppy will be loved and well looked after but my kids come first everytime.
I don't mean to sound rude Micheal, it's just that you seem more concerned about my Puppy than about the welfare of my children.
Caren.
Michael West
March 31, 2005 06:31PM
Why do want a dog????
Caren Edmead
March 31, 2005 06:52PM
Micheal,
I want a dog because i love animals, I think that the Puppy who is coming to my home is great and he will be loved very much by myself and my children.
But as i said before the wellbeing of my Children comes first and foremost.
I cannot live my life worrying that everything i do and don't do for my children and animals might harm them, i already know this, but i will not let myself be upset by it.
If that was the case then i wouldn't enjoy my childrens childhood and i won't enjoy watching this adorable little puppy growing up as part of my family.
I hope this answers your question Micheal,
Caren.
April 01, 2005 07:55AM
Caren, you asked if Michael was a vet, and said you trusted the opinion of vets. As a vet, I'll give you my view. Yes, I would advise worming puppies, because they are virtually all born with worms, due to the clever life cycle of the roundworm, which lives in the mother in a state of 'suspended animation' where they cannot be killed by wormers. These worms become active when the bitch is pregnant, and travel into the growing embryos, so puppies have worms at birth.

However, adult dogsdo not get worms so easily, and I agree with Michael in that for adult dogs I do not recommend routinely worming , but do recommend regular stool samples are checked for worm eggs. Only worm if sample shows presence of worm eggs. Much saferfor dog to only worm when necessary.

Advice from veterinary organisations varies, some say three monthly, some say monthly. Don't guess, get a stool sample checked!

Richard Allport BVetMed, VetMFHom, MRCVS
Caren Edmead
April 01, 2005 09:16AM
Richard,
Thanks very much for the advise.
As i said before i will be having him de-wormed on the way home from the breeders, i will take in to consideration all that you have said about when to de-worm him in the future.
Caren.
April 02, 2005 09:06AM
Well done, Caren!
To some extent I agree with Richard, but you may find that the worm count on the stools will cost more than the de-worming treatment!
It may be that adult dogs are less likely to harbour worms and excrete eggs, but a prgnant and nursing bitch cerstinly will do so.
Carry on de-worming!
Walter
April 02, 2005 09:09AM
Michael,
Do you have any reliable documentation to indicate that routine de-worming might be harmful?
Walter
Caren Edmead.
April 02, 2005 03:01PM
Thanks Walter.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved