VetClick Discussion Forum

Dog Vaccinations.

Posted by Caren Edmead 
Caren Edmead
Dog Vaccinations.
March 21, 2005 01:41PM
I am buying a Staffordshire Bull Terrier Puppy, he is 5 weeks old, but he won't be coming home until 10 weeks, because he is around other dogs at the moment should i take him to have his first jab while he is there?
Thank You,
Caren.
Re: Dog Vaccinations.
March 21, 2005 05:02PM
Caren Edmead
March 22, 2005 04:07PM
Thanks Walter.
Caren Edmead
March 24, 2005 11:28AM
Hi Walter,
I took your advise and phoned Kinfauns to book Bailey in for his jabs, however the receptionist told me that he doesn't need them yet as the dogs that he spends time with have been in the house since he was born. She told me that as long as he wasn't being taken outside then he will be ok to have his first jab on the 18th April, making him 8 weeks old.
I went ahead and booked him in for this date, but am now a little worried as to the reply that i had from you.
Please could you let me know what i should do for the best.
Thanks,
Caren.
March 24, 2005 01:46PM
Hi, Caren,
The advice you were given is OK - I suggested getting him vaccinated whilst still at the breeders, but I did not mean immediately - you did say you were not getting him until he is 10 weeks old, and Kinfauns suggested giving him his first vaccn at 8 weeks - that fits in with my suggestion. 8 weeks is the youngest he should be done - there is less chance of the vaccine not 'taking' after 8 weeks.
Walter.
Caren Edmead
March 24, 2005 04:01PM
Thanks, i had got the dates wrong when i first asked your advice.
Caren.
Caren Edmead.
April 05, 2005 09:32PM
Hi Again Walter,
I brought the new Puppy home yesterday, a little sooner than expected.
He is so adorable.
Anyway, as you know he is all booked in for his first Jab.
I was wondering why he needs 2 lots??
Also how soon after the 2nd one can he be taken outside?
Thanks Walter,
Caren.
April 06, 2005 07:12AM
Hi, Caren,
Pleased to hear that you have your pup. I wish you lots of joy with him.
Many modern vaccines do require two injections over a period to produce a good immunity - the first one may be said to 'prime' the immune system to respond fully to the second one. Subsequent annual (or longer) boosters require only one dose. He should be safe to take out a few days (say a week to be ceratin) after his second set of jabs.
Walter
PS Remember my advice about de-worming.
Caren Edmead.
April 06, 2005 08:09AM
Hi Walter,
I spoke to the Breeder and was told that he has already been De-Wormed, will he still have to be done again when i take him to see the vet??
Thanks for the advice on the Jabs,
Caren.
April 06, 2005 11:05AM
Hi, Caren,
He should be dewormed AT LEAST once a month until he is six months old. Your vet will advise you.
Walter
Caren Edmead.
April 06, 2005 12:48PM
Ok, Thanks Walter.
Michael West
April 06, 2005 03:17PM
Walter you do love your wormers .I think Caren should worm her children then there won't be a problem
Caren Edmead.
April 06, 2005 07:59PM
Micheal,
I think that you can be very arrogant, and just for the record there have been few occasions when i have had to worm my children!!!
Animals are not the only ones to contract worms you know Micheal.
Caren.
April 06, 2005 10:02PM
....and did you know that worms can be quite beneficial? Research has shown that intestinal worms help protect humans aagainst inflammatory bowel disease and (this is not a late April fool) one treatment for IBD consists of giving humans worm eggs, specially treated so that they do not reproduce, and this worm treatment is quite effective.

Children are very prone to threadworms (mine had them), but these have no connection with dog/cat worms, although some GPs will mistakenly blame pets.

I agree that worming puppies is a good idea, but as I have suggested before, for adult dogs ask for regular stool samples to be checked - it's more logical in my view.

Michael, my guess is that you don't have children, otherwise you would be a little more understanding of, and a little less belligerent towards Caren.

Richard Allport BVetMed, VetMFHom, MRCVS
April 07, 2005 07:26AM
Further to Richard's comments, in the 19th Century it was well known for African explorers to deliberately infect themselves with tapeworms before leaving for Africa, believing them to have a protective action on the bowel against bacterial diseases such as cholera!
Walter
PS Michael, It looks like it is You v The Rest.
Michael West
April 07, 2005 05:42PM
You guessed wrong Richard I do have children.
Caren Edmead.
April 07, 2005 06:21PM
If that the case then Micheal, would you be willing to put your children at risk???
Michael West
April 08, 2005 12:39PM
Walter it is very hard to educate the uninitiated you should know!
April 08, 2005 01:02PM
Michael
There is no one more difficult to teach than he who does not wish to know!
Walter
Caren Edmead.
April 08, 2005 01:55PM
Well said Walter.
Michael West
April 08, 2005 07:42PM
I agree Walter that's why I said it so hard to teach the uninitiated.
debra wall
April 18, 2005 12:01PM
at what age should my puppy be when i give him his rabies shot?
April 18, 2005 01:54PM
Hi, Debra,
It depends on:
1. The make of vaccine.
2 Your reasons for getting Rabies vaccination
3. Where you live.
Ask your veterinarian for advice
Walter
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved