VetClick Discussion Forum

slight fecal incontinence

Posted by pru 
pru
slight fecal incontinence
February 27, 2005 11:17PM
my poor old fella had a severe bout of diarrhoea at new year it lasted for nearly 2 weeks at its worst and took 4 weeks to get back to any resemblence of normal, he had all the normal treatments,rehydration, antibiotics,probiotics,antiinflamatories and lomotil, it was the lomotil that finally helped along with the addition of oats,aloevera juice slipery elm,and an 8th of a tsp of bicarb in his juice each day. however he still has a slight problem of popping out little bits of poo between normal poo times mostly when asleep[which is quite a lot as he is 14] i am lucky to be with him most of the time and can clean him up[its not much about the size of a jumbo rasin]. he hates being dirty and will clean himself if i am to slow . he comes with us everywhere, always has done, we have booked our holidays or should i say his holidays, and we would be very greatfull if anyone had any ideas on how to retrain his bottom . the vet said he has strained or damaged his rectal muscles with so much straining, or possibly is just a little incontinent with old age. i think it is the first theory as he showed no signs whatsoever of any incontinence before his illness. please if anyone has any ideas at all how to help cure or a least minimise his problem do say as i will do anything to make him better . thanks hopefully, pru

Re: slight fecal incontinence
February 28, 2005 09:22AM
Hi, Pru,
I assume that it is d0g you are describing!
You do not mention his breed, either.
From what you tell me, I think that there is little more that you can do except possibly bulk up his food by adding more insoluble fibre - such as
All-Bran or some doggy equivalent the vet should be able to provide you with.
Walter
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved