VetClick Discussion Forum

blood in urine

Posted by sue 
sue
blood in urine
November 06, 2006 07:05AM
I have an 11yr old gsd,she presented problems last week of blood in her urine,i took samples and clots to my vet who tested it and said all was fine.Just water infection,she was given naraclav (think thats how it is spelt) and also rymadil injections.Then was given noraclav in tablet form.He gave me 5 days worth and they ran out saturday.It is now monday morning and its back again...i am allready taking her back this morning as a follow up but would be interested in another opinion.I am taking another water sample but i am concerned that there is somthing else going on.We lost her brother this tme last year to cancer which was a total surprise as he had no signs of illness untill he went lame .We also lost another gsd in 2004 to splene problems.then again no signs of any illness.This little girl is in remission of anul cancer from 5yrs ago alongside a slipped disc on her shoulder that happened at the same time.She has been through alot but is still eating well ,but as her disc problem doesnt allow her to walk more than 30yds or more and then i have to support her as her backlegs give way.I just wonder what else is going on.Regards,
Re: blood in urine
November 06, 2006 09:16AM
Hi, Sue,
There are several possible things which can produce blood in the urine as well as cystitis. You do not say where you live, but in some countries (e.g. France, USA ) there are specific infections which are not seen in the UK, and require specific diagnosis and treatment. Tumours of the bladder or kidney can also lose blood into the urine.
It really needs more than just a check on the urine itself to make a diagnosis, and a complete 'work-up' is required.
On the other hand, an 11 year old GSD with the multiplicity of other problems which you describe may well not have a life expectancy or quality of life which justfies such investigations, for either humane or financial reasons.
Prolonging thelife of a dog which has no quality of life is not always in its best interests.
W
November 06, 2006 11:19AM
Thankyou for your reply,i live in lincolnshire,she is ok in herself actually,but as it has come back i got her in this morning for a full check up.
Bloods were done last week and all came back normal...however as it has come back as soon as the noraclav has gone out her system it is worrying me to say the very least.She is having an xray aswell as more bloods done,she is insured and my vet knows that even if she wasnt she would get the best treatment whatever the cost.She is 11 this sat and it is only just a year on that we lost her brother exactly 2 weeks before his 10 birthday.As you imagine i am so very worried.She allways has her injections and is basically a spoilt coach potatoe growing old gracefully.She is still very playfull and talks so much,is very intelligent and has us WELL trained.All she has to do is look at the pantyr door and thats it.treatime!
We have allways fed our dogs james wellbeloved and with veg and egg,anything that is good food.
She is on Propolyne syrup for a weak bladder problem...but apart from that she is a very strong willed girl.Im will keep you posted if that is allright.Regards Sue.
November 07, 2006 06:03PM
Thankyou for your reply,i live in the uk,in lincolnshire.I had to take her back again yesterday for a check up but took her in before her appointment as she started all over again.She has had an xray,and her bladder inflated with air and nothing has shown up.My vet has sent a sample of her water off to check for any growth etc and he has checked for crystals and all seems clear.She is now on baytrill and rymadil,he still thinks it is a severe water infection.......of which i am hopeing he is right.I will keep you posted.Regards.
November 08, 2006 07:56PM
Yes, please keep me informed as to her progress.
W

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2006 07:57PM by Walter Beswick.
November 13, 2006 07:50AM
Hi,well we have had her results back from the urine tests and it showed a massive bacterial infection,no crystals at all so we are still going down the treatment road of baytrill 150mg one a day.I have her back again this thursday for a check up and another water test.
My vet has said she will be on these for at least 2/3 weeks,so we are hopeing it clears it up once and forall.
I will still keep you posted as this had been a scare, when in fact all it was /is (hopefully) is a really bad infection and if it can help someone else in the same situation then i am pleased.
Regards.
November 17, 2006 03:37PM
Hi,just to let you know the new water tests are normal but we are keeping her on baytril for another 11 days then when it is out of her system i am taking another water sample in to be tested for any growth.She is fine in herself and hopefully will stay that way.Regards
November 19, 2006 09:41AM
Hi, suego,
Thank you for that
I hope all goes well.
W
Mrs J Holmes
March 20, 2007 09:22PM
Hi

I have a 14yr old cat who is displaying signs of blood in her urine could you give me any idea of what this might be. I don't like to take her to the vet unless absolutely necessary as she gets very stessed out and usually wets or soils her cat box. She seems fine in herself ie eating well etc but doesn't really go out anymore, prefering to wet in the litter tray and pooh in the bath.

I am worried about her and wonder what all this could mean. can you also tell me if it is true that cats go away to die.

Thank you
March 22, 2007 06:50PM
Hi,
Your cat has a cystitis - may be due to an inflammation of the lining of the bladder, or she may have stones in her bladder irritating it. She really should be seen by a vet who would prescribe appropriate treatment.
W
March 23, 2007 07:35AM
I am just putting you in the picture as to how she is after all this time,she is thankfully ok now.It was a long road and she was kept on Baytrill and other meds untill end of Jan this year,she did present a mild infection of M.R.S.A. on her skin.but that was treated with antibiotics and cleared up ,she was given the all clear about 4-5 weeks ago.Thankyou for your time.Reagrds.
CATS1973
October 13, 2008 12:23PM
HI
I HAVE A 14 WEEK OLD FEMALE KITTEN AND I HAVE NOTICED IN THE LAST FEW DAYS THERE HAS BEEN BLOOD IN HER URINE AND SHE HAS BEEN WEEING OFTEN AND ANYWHERE COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT COULD BE WRONG WITH HER OR IS THIS NORMAL ?

THANK YOU

KAREN
October 13, 2008 12:38PM
Hi,

She almost certainly has a cystitis resulting from an infection in her baldder.
she needs antibiotics from your vet to clear it up.

W
karen1973
October 13, 2008 12:42PM
thank you very much for your help

karen
Molly
June 30, 2009 12:43PM
suegeo1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thankyou for your reply,i live in lincolnshire,she
> is ok in herself actually,but as it has come back
> i got her in this morning for a full check up.
> Bloods were done last week and all came back
> normal...however as it has come back as soon as
> the noraclav has gone out her system it is
> worrying me to say the very least.She is having an
> xray aswell as more bloods done,she is insured and
> my vet knows that even if she wasnt she would get
> the best treatment whatever the cost.She is 11
> this sat and it is only just a year on that we
> lost her brother exactly 2 weeks before his 10
> birthday.As you imagine i am so very worried.She
> allways has her injections and is basically a
> spoilt coach potatoe growing old gracefully.She is
> still very playfull and talks so much,is very
> intelligent and has us WELL trained.All she has to
> do is look at the pantyr door and thats
> it.treatime!
> We have allways fed our dogs james wellbeloved and
> with veg and egg,anything that is good food.
> She is on Propolyne syrup for a weak bladder
> problem...but apart from that she is a very strong
> willed girl.Im will keep you posted if that is
> allright.Regards Sue.
pat ward
Re: blood in urine and poss clots
March 14, 2011 06:27AM
my male lab 10 yrs old , seemed to urinate for 30 mins on a walk a week ago
5 days later he seemed not to go at all
today he weent 3 times during the day
but wet the floor after bed time
i thought i saw little pile like pimento in the puddle [which was on brown carpet ]
i wiped it up with clean white towel expecting to see blood stains
THERE WERE NONE AT ALL
HE IS STRAINIG TO DEFECATE
he is bouncy wet nose not off food shiny jet black coat
were these crystals ? what do you think ?? .................................. PAT WARD
HE IS UP TO DATE WITH INJECTIONS
======================================================================
suegeo1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thankyou for your reply,i live in lincolnshire,she
> is ok in herself actually,but as it has come back
> i got her in this morning for a full check up.
> Bloods were done last week and all came back
> normal...however as it has come back as soon as
> the noraclav has gone out her system it is
> worrying me to say the very least.She is having an
> xray aswell as more bloods done,she is insured and
> my vet knows that even if she wasnt she would get
> the best treatment whatever the cost.She is 11
> this sat and it is only just a year on that we
> lost her brother exactly 2 weeks before his 10
> birthday.As you imagine i am so very worried.She
> allways has her injections and is basically a
> spoilt coach potatoe growing old gracefully.She is
> still very playfull and talks so much,is very
> intelligent and has us WELL trained.All she has to
> do is look at the pantyr door and thats
> it.treatime!
> We have allways fed our dogs james wellbeloved and
> with veg and egg,anything that is good food.
> She is on Propolyne syrup for a weak bladder
> problem...but apart from that she is a very strong
> willed girl.Im will keep you posted if that is
> allright.Regards Sue.
shai
April 20, 2011 02:17AM
Please help us. my 6 yrs old female shih is having blood on her urine. The vet has given her anti biotics but it inly effect for one day, after that she still pee in small amount ( which unusual coz she pees a lot) with blood on it. im so worried. she had given birth 8x and maybe that is one cause of the problem.. please help...
April 20, 2011 07:20PM
Passing blood in the urine is most commonly the result of cystitis - inflammation of the bladder - and in females this may be commonly caused by infection. Probably the first thing to do here is to stop the antibiotics for at least 5 days then ask you vet to send a urine sample to the lab to see what bacteria might be causing the problem. It is better if your vet can get urine from the bladder by inserting a a syringe and needle so that the bugs on her fur do not contaminate the sample. If no bugs are found then although that does not absolutely exclude a urine infection then the best thing to do is to have either an ultrasound of the bladder and kidneys (best) or a contrast x-ray of them to see if there are bladder stones or anything else going on. At this age stones would be the most likely cause but the urine needs to be examined to see what sort they are.
ella
August 13, 2012 02:03AM
i have 4 month old shih tzu - pomeranian dog.. she has blood whenever shes peeing.. its mixed with her urine. she took up some antibiotics before she'd shown that symptoms. she took up med because she's always vomiting and shes not eating and drinking. but after she's given the shot of that medicine she started peeing with some blood. what do you think i must do?
August 13, 2012 11:51AM
Hi Ella,

Blood in urine is not normal at any age, so you need to take her to your vet asap so they can work out what's causing it and treat it for you.

Good luck,
Zara The Vet
(www.zarathevet.com)
Lauren
June 05, 2013 04:36PM
I have a 6 year old cat who keeps urinating blood and will not use the kitty litter which is odd for her. I also noticed a small bump on her ear but it is gone now. Other than being a little bit lazier, she is still acting the same and eating and drinking normally. What could be wrong with her?
June 18, 2013 05:14PM
Hi Lauren

Passing blood in urine is a bad sign of a problem arising from either the kidneys or the bladder. It might be as simple as an infection -cystitis which needs antibiotics but there are other possibilities for the presence of blood in urine. You will have to consult a vet and let them do some tests on your cat to find out the cause.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved