VetClick Discussion Forum

post diarrhoea problems

Posted by pru 
pru
post diarrhoea problems
January 06, 2005 05:21PM
my 13yr old jack woke 7 days ago with diarrhoea with loss of appitite but no vomiting. the vet put him on antibiotics and probiotics with usual advice for treating diarrhoea. thing were complicated by the fact that he is a diabetic. anyway very late on day 6 his poo began to take shape, day seven he is eating and drinking well but still feels the need to visit the garden frequently, although only a tiny amount, if any is produced. it seems like his bottom contracts or something and he is alarmed that he might have an accident. his actual anal opening is still very sore but i think the problem is a little further up. i watched him sleeping last night and i saw his tail lift and quiver , he woke looked concerned and then went back to sleep. the vet said it will work itself out but i would like to investigate all possbillities. at the moment he is taking promax , a sulpher based antibotic rehydration fluid,aloe vera extract ,sillicol and a small amount of slippery elm. his diet at the moment is a mix of AD,ID and potatoes.[he cannot digest rice] and advice would be welcome thanks in anticipation pru
Re: post diarrhoea problems
January 06, 2005 06:05PM
Hi, Pru,
With the sudden onset of the signs which you describe it is unlikely that there is a 'nasty' in his rectum, but your vet may wish to do a rectal examination if you describe the signs which you have described to me. There is also the possibilty that if his anus has been very much inflamed, he could have developed rectal stricture - a narrowing of the back passage, which your vet would also be able to diagnose.
Go back to the practice and discuss your concerns.
Walter
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved