VetClick Discussion Forum

cyst

Posted by tanya steele 
tanya steele
cyst
December 17, 2004 06:02PM
Hi There,
I took my bitch Sophie to the vet in august to get a lump (located between her shoulder blades) checked out. At that time the vet said it was common at her age to get these lumps and was causing her no problem and just to keep an eye on it. It has gotten bigger (approx the size of a pencil rubber) and actually resembles a fluidy-like blister. It doesn't appear to be bothering her but I was concerned that her collar might rub against it and it would burst causing an infection. Today I took her back to my vet and again she said I can leave it but if it bursts the cyst will just fill up again and could lead to infection. In the vet's opinion she advised me to get it removed. She also recommended I get a blood test done and the cyst sent away for analysis (im insured so she said I might as well get this done as well). The reason for my email is I am petrified of her going under anesthetic as years back I lost a cat to a vet's negligence with anesthetic. Because of Sophie's age (9 years)I am so frightened the same would happen to her and it would break my heart. Is there no other alternative I can take? Can they not freeze and area then lance it without having to put her under anesthetic? I know all pets going under anesthetic there is a chance of them not waking up but it's a chance I am very unwilling to take. Can you please advise? Thanks you.

Kindest Regards
Tanya
Re: cyst
December 18, 2004 09:43AM
Hi, Tanya,
Difficult to say what the lump is - it may be a sebaceous cyst, or a lipoma
(a benign fatty lump), In neither case would simple 'lancing' be effective.
It may be possible to remove either with a sedative and local anaesthesia, although modern anaesthetics are very safe.
Discuss your fears with your vet, and she/he will take them into consideration, I am sure.
Walter
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved