VetClick Discussion Forum

Cost of Vetoryl

Posted by Chriise Novelle 
Andy Hazell
Re: Cost of Vetoryl
June 24, 2008 10:50AM
Hi Guys,

I have read with interest the above comments on the treatment of cushings. Our Jack Russell, Tilly has had cushings for about 5yrs. She is on 60mg of Vetoryl twice a day, quite a high dose for a small dog. We pay about £200 for a three month supply, shop around on the web, plenty of suppliers. our new vet does not charge for prescriptions, our old vet didnt charge for the script but charged us £7 "treatment consideration fee"! She is very stable, has two blood tests a year at about £70 a go. She is happy and aive and just like a normal dog (whatever that is) bearing in mind she's about 13. The vet says she will have a normal life span and it will probably be something else that carries her off eventually. Insureance would obviously solve the expense issue but beware of companies that try and persuade you onto a new improved policy once your dog is diagnosed, which a trap my mother fell into with Tillys insurance-old policy covered her, new poilice didnt as it was then classed as an existing conditon (ever felt you've been conned?).

Hope this helps some people.
June 25, 2008 07:13AM
Hi, Andy,

Thank you for that very informative contribution.

I am sure that the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons would be very interested to hear about the 'Treatment Consideration Fee' ! (www.rcvs.org.uk)

W
kathy
August 05, 2008 09:43PM
My SBT has had Cushings for two years, caught early on, and is well. I would advise anyone to get a prescription off the vet for Vetoryl and search the web. I pay £35 for 30, 60mg capsules. I must admit I had not thought about asking a pharmacist, don't they only deal with humans?
August 06, 2008 07:32AM
Hi, Kathy,

Many pharmacists are more than happy to dispense veterinary prescriptions - they have wanted to get their hand om this market for years.

W
bryan
August 11, 2008 10:05AM
hi,

I have just started my Lab cross on a herbal treatment for cushings. The vet wanted 3 pnds per tablet of Vetoryl at one per day. To be fair he did say to shop around. We are only in the first week and it says on the instructions it may take 3 to 6 weeks before any improvment is seen,so at 5 drops 3 times per day (medium dog dose) one bottle will have gone. I am having to kid her into taking it as it has a slight aroma which she is not keen on but we are managing.
Will keep you posted as to the results just in case I have to revert to the tablets.
Bye.
Eileen
August 11, 2008 01:56PM
My 14 yr old lab X suffers from arthritis, going deaf and has now been diagnosed with cushings' disease. Today he is having his 10 day check up on dosage levels. Todate he has been tested for liver & renal failure [ both clear] heart & lungs good.
Already on 120mg/day [ £68 for 30 pills]. His repsonse to medication apears to be zero, if anything seems worse. Vet says may need to increase med so increase costs. His meds for arthritis are £40 for 30 pills. His insurance cover for cushings runs out soon.
Vet says he will need 3 monthly blood test for life.

After 15 paces he collapses from exhaustion. He has no real quality of life and seeing him like this is very upsetting.
I am sitting here deciding his fate. I cannot afford £130/month -probably more because it seems meds not enough at current rate AND the cost of regular blood tests.
ARE BLOOD TESTS ESSENTIAL as well as medication?
August 14, 2008 07:25PM
Dear Eileen,

You have done very well to keep a Lab cross for 14 years. What is his quality of life? You seem to be spending a good deal on him, prolonging a life which holds little for him.
Do you not think that the time has come to part with him? We have the responsibility of preventing suffering in our pets, and the privilege of being able to do something about it.

W
Ian George
August 29, 2008 04:53PM
I'm sorry - what is the problem for those people who require (advertsing?) recommendations for cheap suppliers of Vetoryl? You merely enter something like www.google.co.uk into your browser and type the word "vetoryl" into the box, then press return. Instantly several suppliers of the drug will appear and you can compare prices to find the cheapest! I am assured by some that on receipt by e-mail of a scanned copy of the vetinary prescription they will dispatch by return of post!

I.G.
Moira
October 27, 2008 11:12AM
My Red Setter has cushings and since she has been on Vetoryl she has a new lease of life, I pick up a written perscription from my vet every month and order it on line I pay £35.00 as oposed to the £50.00 that my vet would charge, i have no insurance!! if you can get the human version of Trilostane its much cheaper and exactly the same, but vets are not allowed to perscribe this unless there is no cannine version available...how stupid is that? Just ask your vet for a script they cant refuse its the law!!
October 28, 2008 05:06PM
Hi, Moira,
I hope that the product you are buying on-line is the genuine article - a lot of medicines sold on-line are fakes.
Also, I hope that your on-line supplier will be happy to help you if your dog has an adrenal crisis at 3 o-clock one Sunday morning!
You are quite right that vets may only prescribe the product licensed for veterinary use. This is laid down under the Medicines Act, and enfiorced by the Veterinary Medicines Directorate, to which you should address your complaint.
It is also illegal for your on-line supplier to supply any POM ( Presciption Only Medicine) different from the one prescibed.

W
Cheryl
November 11, 2008 01:58PM
Our Jack Russell has been diagnosed with Cushings, he had all the tests and was started on Vetoryl 60mg, by the time we took kim back for a blood test on the 10th day he was very lethargic, not eating or drinking and was walking with a limp. We thought the vet had overdosed him as 60mg is alot for a little dog, they didn't do another blood test! Anyway, we sae another vet who has reduced the Vetoryl to 30mg, saying that 60mg was right by his weight but just did not suit our dog. He hasn't started these tablets yet as after two weeks is still eating and drinking very little, we're having to squirt water in his mouth to get him to have fluids. Its very distressing for him and us. I'm just trying to say, if your dog gets worse on Vetoryl it could be than he has been overdosed.
oscar
November 21, 2008 09:37PM
my jack russle has diabetis and now he has just been diagnosed with cushions he is insured but they only pay out £1.OOO for each illness, so that has been more than soaked up and lots more on the diabetis, my vet assures me that the cushions is a different condition so they should in theory pay out another £1,OOO for the cushions,
but the price of the tablets it wont take long to absorb that either, so i am looking for an alternate supplier for the drug , he is on vetoryl 60 mgcan you help so i can put it in place for when the insurace runs out
Regards
Hilary
Rachel h
December 04, 2008 09:25PM
Vets can now charge for writing prescriptions, there is no guideline for this charge so it is up to the individual practice. But, yes they are obliged to write you one. My nearly 8 year old choc lab was recently diagnosed with cushings and is already epileptic. We need to bare in mind that there is a seperate charge for each drug written in a prescription, makes me wonder weather it will be cheaper to get it on line!
Christine
December 14, 2008 06:56AM
Hi all,

Our insurance has paid for our Vetoryl for the last year but not any longer. I have got a prescription from the vet so now I want to know the best place to get the Vetoryl
Please could anyone advise me of the cheapest online provider.
Many thanks for helping
jane randall
January 05, 2009 09:08PM
Hello, please could you also send me the details of the cheaper supplier of vetoryl, thank you, jane
January 05, 2009 10:19PM
I am sorry but I cannot provide this information. You might try Google.
Andy hazell
January 13, 2009 03:39PM
Hi all,

I posted a while back with regard to the cost of Cushings Meds. To all those who want recommendations - try google, plenty of suppliers. The best I've seen today is about £33 for 30 x 60mg.

For those who cant afford this or have dogs with several serious conditions, try the RSPCA. When our Tills was being looked after by my parents the RSPCA offered to provide treatment, however they stipulated that they would want to take care of all her healthcare - impractical for my parents due to the distance to the nearest branch, also you could try PDSA/Blue Cross.

For all those recently diagnosed and struggling, its not all doom and gloom. Our Tills (Jack Russell) is also a Cushdog, has recently been diagnosed with a heart murmur, has a neuro condition that makes her back legs do odd things, but still walks 3 miles a day, attacks the postman, can eat for England and will take your arm off if your holding a pigs ear! Not bad for a dog thats knocking on for 15!

Hope this helps and reassures people who might be struggling with this
Robin
February 16, 2009 03:24PM
Anonymous User Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> Hello,
>
> my dog has got the same illness and I found
> Vetoryl 60 mg in a
> chemistry in Chiasso (Switzerland) at Euro
> 190+Euro 24 for shipping
> charges (1 bottle is for 3 months).
>
> Please let me know if you want the name and
> address of the
> chemistry.
>
> regards and best wishes for your dog!
>
> Marzia

Hello Marzia, Please coud you let me know the name and address, many thank's for your help. Email, bulldogmeghan@aol.com

Thank's once again, Rob
Tammy Patton
March 30, 2009 06:30PM
Hello-

I live in the US, (Washington to be exact) and the price of Vetoryl here is staggering. Could I please have the information of the vet you were able to get this medication from? I really need to get my Lab started on it..

Thank you so much,

Tammy Patton
tjevers68@hotmail.cm
Bodjit
March 30, 2009 10:02PM
Walter Beswick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can demand a prescription for Vetoryl, from
> the University Veterinary School and from your
> practice, which you can take to any pharmacy or
> any other veterinary practice, asking for the best
> price.
> If either refuse to provide a prescription - at no
> extra charge to you - complain to the
> Professional Conduct Department, the Royal College
> of Veterinary Surgeons, 64 Horseferry Road,
> London,SW1P 2AF, tel 020 7222
> 2001, FAX 020 7222 2004, for the attention of Mr G
> Hockey.
> Walter

"asking" may be far more preferable than "demanding", as that implies total lack of manners and uneducated to boot
October 23, 2009 02:55PM
I live in the US an if you think Vetoryl is costly in the UK you can't believe how much higher it is here. The cost is ghastly. I would love to the know name and contact information for the pharmacy in Switzerland so that I can order directly from there. My email is bgelb@optonline.net.
The least expensive 30mg here is more than an additional 25% over the lowest price I can find in the UK.
Help, please.
brian
November 21, 2009 02:51PM
for anyone trying to buy vetoryl 60 x 30 capsuls go on the internet they cost about 35 pounds

(Maybe, but be aware that there are 'fake' medicines now being sold on the internet which look like the real thing, but have much less, or even none of the active ingredient in them. W)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2009 05:28PM by Walter Beswick.
natalie
Re: elscrivens@fsmail.net
December 16, 2009 08:18PM
My staffie (age 12) has cushings and my insurance has paid for a year for all her tests and her medication. My year has now run out so I am now shopping for cheaper vetoryl i have seen it for £24.95 my vets require £10 charge for the perscription. My advice is pay insurance for the lifetime of the dog not annual policy I know its dearer at the time but if the dog develops any long term condition they only pay out for the year.
Re: elscrivens@fsmail.net
December 17, 2009 09:20AM
All insurance companies prefer to charge premiums rather than to pay claims.
That is how they make such huge profits!
January 10, 2010 05:23PM
Hi!
I just found this site, so I apologise if you've already given all this information somewhere, or if I'm asking questions too late...

I have a dog (pomeranian) recently diagnosed with Cushings. He has a lot of other health problems and I have exhausted my savings to the last penny. However, he still has good quality of life, despite his frailty, so it's breaking my heart to think I'll have to put him down just because of money. He's happy and affectionate, and the vet assures me he is not suffering even though he looks awful because of the hair loss and bad skin. I simply can't afford the treatment, is the problem.

I wanted to know about the herbal drops mentioned by Bryan, what they were, how well they worked. I've seen some on the internet that sound good (I know a bit about herbs and the mixture appears correct; have tried to make a version of it myself but am in a very isolated area and it's hard to get what I need), but would prefer some personal reference. Would you be able to tell me anything about what you used, please?

Thanks -
Katie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2010 03:44AM by katiey.
Tara Hardy
April 07, 2010 10:57AM
Hi everyone, i have 18 30mg tablet and 18 60mg tablets. Sadly i had to have my dog out to sleep last week and was wondering if anyone would like these tablets at a cheap price. I know how expensive they are. If so email me. Tara
April 07, 2010 11:25AM
Hi, Tara,

I presume that you are aware that what you are proposing to do is illegal? They should be reurned to the pharmacy where you bought them and see if they will agree a refund.

W
Lori
April 24, 2010 02:04AM
Hi Tara,
I am so sorry for your loss. I have a 15-year old dog that I adopted a couple of years ago and he has Cushings. It's a difficult and costly disease to deal with. How kind of you to offer your baby's meds to someone else, especially at a time when you're grieving. I'm also really sorry that someone like "W" would post such a creepy remark. What a mean freak. I guess the "W" stands for WITCH. Take care, Lori
April 24, 2010 08:10AM
Hi, Lori,

I am sorry that you find my reply to Tara's question 'creepy'.

I was explaining the law as it is in the United Kingdom. I know that the US is more relaxed about the availability of restricted medicines but my duty is to explain the law as it stands ,not, maybe, as we would like it to be.

I hope that your dog continues to do well on vetoryl.

Walter
Cate & Lillie
April 20, 2011 09:09AM
Hello everyone, My dog Lillie is a very special dog, I rescued a few years ago, after some thoughtless creature tortured her in a way I don't even want to describe....but terribly cruel, considering the demeanor of my dear little friend. So, I've tried to make up for the days that she endured whatever torture, and she is the light of my life. I'm not well myself, and Lillie was going to be my service animal, when I was taking her for a wellness check I mentioned some oddities, which were the beginnings of her illness. Because I am on disability, I can't afford this medicine, but I simply cannot put her down because she has an illness! She takes 90mg/day, one 30 and one 60. Unfortunately, in America we dont' have the place which some of you have mentioned, where you can simply demand the med be given, but I notice after much reading, there apparently exists a rule on the forum, that you cannot recommend a site.So, if anyone can email me......

I'm paying $150.00 which is more than I can cover because of my own illness. Please, if you knew Lillie, you'd surely want to help this dear little soul, especially after what she endured in her earlier life. Now its my turn to show her the goodness in the world, and I just can't put her to sleep b/c she had the misfortune of getting Cushings. If you can suggest a website that I might try, I would so appreciate your kindness. Thanks! Cate Catecasa@yahoo.com
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved