VetClick Discussion Forum

hypothyroidism

Posted by gill 
hypothyroidism
August 25, 2004 02:20PM
My two year old labrador bitch has suffered from skin complaints for about 1 year now, she has scabs around her ear edges, face, abdomen, elbows and inner hind legs and toes. She eats the same and excercises the same as my other lab but is 5 kg heavier and rising steadily. She has also had pseudo pregnancies with her first two seasons. My vet has been treating everything seperately but mentioned that he would test for hypothyroidism if her weight continues to rise. I believe her symptoms point to this and if you agree could you give a brief explanation of the condition and what its treatment would entail? How much weight gain would you say was acceptable before my vet should test for hypothyroidism?
Thank you in advance for any information,
yours,
Gill
Re: hypothyroidism
August 25, 2004 03:10PM
Hi, Gill,
Hypothroidism is not common in dogs, but it does occur.
A characteristic sign is a bilaterally symmetrical thinning of the hair on both sides of the abdomen, as well as the other signs which you describe.
Most labs will put on weight anyway - every lab that I have met thinks every meal will be their last! Other casues of overwight should be considered - especially overfeeding!
A simple blood test will help in confirming a diagnosis. Treatment with thyroid extract is usually effective and not expensive.
Re: hypothyroidism
August 25, 2004 06:11PM
Thank you Walter, both our labs are fed much less than the recommended daily amounts on the packaging and have no treats beyond a daily pig's ear so its not overfeeding. Maddy, the one in question, did lose all her hair on her undercarriage but I presumed that was due to the phantom pregnancies. She has some at the moment but not as much coverage as Fudge, the other one. A quick trip back to the vet for a test is on the cards, just as well she loves going. In fact that is the only place she gets treats, probably why she likes our vets!
I'll let you know the results,
thanks again,
Gill
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved