VetClick Discussion Forum

A Question About Hyperthyroid cat medication

Posted by AnneN 
AnneN
A Question About Hyperthyroid cat medication
January 15, 2016 08:27PM
Hi, our 16,5 old cat has been on Felimazole 5 mg for three weeks. It has not helped. In addition to that, the third week we gave him Felimazole he experienced loss of appetite and nausea. He had his blood work taken today. No change. Our vet suggested trying another med, Tyrazol (carbimazol) 2 x 5 mg. Is it possible it will help? Surely these meds work - or do not work - the same way? I guess what I am asking is, is there hope?

Our cat is a happy cat, affectionate, even playful, and looks great except his weight loss. You would not believe he is over 5 yrs old! We hope for many happy years with him and his brother, who is the same age.

We would go the radioactive iodine route except the cat would have to stay with the vet´s, separated from us, and I do not think he could take that. He is a shy cat around strangers, and has never been away from home without us. Of course the iodine treatment is expensive (well over 1000 pounds where we live) and our cat is not insured. However, if we could just have the iodine treatment done and take him straight home we would not hesitate.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved