VetClick Discussion Forum

Poorly cat

Posted by madbabie 
madbabie
Poorly cat
July 30, 2006 05:10PM
My cat is off his food and his third eyelid has become visible. We took him to the vet and he gave him 3 injections of anti-biotics and said that it was probably a bacterial infection, as it has happened again so soon I am quit worried. What could this be?
Re: Poorly cat
July 30, 2006 08:39PM
Hi,

Cats are very prone to a variety of virus infections which can cause flu like symptoms.
There is another condition called Horner's Syndrome which casue the third eyelid to become visible.
Antibiotics may, or may not, help.
Ask your vet for a more positive diagnosis.
W
marie roach
February 21, 2007 12:26AM
my CAT KEEPS BEING SICK AND HES NOT DIGESTING HIS FOOD HE WAS SICK IN MY FRONTROOM TONIGHT WHICH WAS WHOLE CHICKEN WHICH I NEVER GAVE HIM I ALSO NOTICED IT HAD HAIR IN IT FUR I AM WORRIED ABOUT HIM AS I ONLY GOT HIM LAST YEAR CAN U HELP ME PLEASE DO I NEED TO TAKE HIM TO THE VETS ..................
February 21, 2007 07:59AM
Hi, Marie,

Is he a long-haired cat?
Sounds like he has a 'fur-ball' which cats, especially long haired ones, get when they groom themselves, swallow the hair, and then bring it up again together with any food they have in their stomach.
Give it 24 hours, and if he is not eating, or continuing to retch, take him to your vet.

W
Vicki
October 26, 2007 05:16PM
Hi there

My cat has not been her normal self this week, she has been off her food, quite lethargic and is crying a lot when I pick her up, she's keeping herself to herself and I noticed today she didn't run up the stairs like normal, she was struggling....
October 27, 2007 07:09AM
Hi, Vicki,

You do not say how old she is, or if she has been neutered. If not, she may just be 'in season'. Otherwise she may have picked up an infection and may need treatment by your vet.

W
Edel
October 28, 2007 06:41PM
Hi Walter

My cat Olly has strayed away a number of times and a couple of weeks ago he came home and he seems to have lost his bottom lip, either its that or his top lip is swollen. I really dont know whats wrong with him because he cannot be filled, he is hungry all the time and now he has started to come into the house which he would usually never do. I dont know why hes started to behave like this. I have wormed him recently if that helps.

Thank you for your help

Edel
October 29, 2007 08:19AM
Hi,Edel,

I really think that your cat needs to be seen by your vet - there may be several things wrong with him. If there is an infection causing a swelling in his top lip he may need antibiotics to clear it up, the XS appetite may be due to a liver, bowel or even kidney problem which will need sorting out too.

W
Edel
October 29, 2007 09:06PM
Thank you Walter for your reply, I will bring him to my vet ASAP. Thanks!
clair rushin
November 06, 2007 12:54PM
my cat has always been vocal but for the last month he is constantly meoowin to a point where i cant cope and he is just not getting full i feed him twice as much as my female cat be he seems to be constantly hungry. what could of happened in the last month to create these issues?
November 07, 2007 08:19AM
Hi,

You do not say how old your cat is, but he may now have problems digesting and absorbing his food. He needs a full work-up by your vet, including blood tests.

W
marg
November 07, 2007 06:27PM
my cat has lost weight has a gagging cough and what seems to be black stuff comming from the eyes nose mouth and rectal area. any ideas?
November 08, 2007 09:22AM
Hi, Marg,

I cannot suggest a diagnosis from your description, but it does sound serious enough for a proper examination by a veterinarian.

W
Alison C
May 30, 2008 05:21PM
My cat keeps gagging and is very weary. She is just not herself, she is eating and drinking. If this is fur balls is there anything I can do to help her? She has not had anything like this before. She is not a long haired cat and I do brush her. Thanks
May 30, 2008 06:54PM
hi,

I really am sorry, but there is not nearly enough information for me even to hazard a guess as to what may be wrong.
If she has a fur-ball, and is having trouble bringing it up, a little liquid paraffin ( mineral oil) may help, but if she continues to be dull you should get her examined by a vet.

W
Estelle
June 08, 2008 06:44PM
My Cat is just not his self, he is off his food even his treats which he is normally jumping for joy. He just curls himself up and sleeps, he seems thirsty quite a lot and I have put a couple of bowls of water out for him. I just found an old bowl in the garden which has very green horrible water I think he may have been drinking from, but I dont know what else to do, he just isnt right and I cant get him to eat.
June 09, 2008 06:02AM
Hi, Estelle,

I cannot tell you what is wrong with your cat, sorry, but I do think he needs fairly urgent veterinary attention and should be taken to be seen by a vet as soon as possible.

W
c1983
August 12, 2008 06:35PM
hello,

My cat is 2 this year, he is neutered as has always been quite healthy and a big cat.
I have noticed this last week he is off his food, doesnt liked to be touched or picked up, when i do pick him up he crys alot! He has lost a lot of weight too.
My other cat was ill a couple of weeks ago, an infection in his uretha(sp?) could he of caught something off him maybe?
Im really worried about him.
August 13, 2008 03:41PM
Hi,

It does sound like he may have become infected by whatever it was that your other cat had. I think a visit to your vet is needed.

W
sandra matthias
my cats ill
August 15, 2008 05:12AM
my cat ususally has a healthy appetite this week he has become lethargic off all food and milk and when he breaks wind he seems a little incontinent
August 15, 2008 09:29AM
Hi,

I am sorry, but you have not given me nearly enough information to even make a guess at a diagnosis.
I suggest that you take him to your vet today.

W
JoJo71
November 15, 2008 01:08PM
My ten year old male cat has been taken to the vet this morning, we found him on the sofa, listless, eyes fixed and barely breathing. He has been eating and washing normally and was bouncing around last night. The vet can find no obvious damage to him and he is on fluids and being kept warm. He is a short haired black and was 'done' when he was 6 months old, has been a fairly healthy cat and only has a few hair ball issues from time to time.... the vet really doesn't know what is wrong with him but he is critical, any ideas??
November 16, 2008 12:31PM
Hi, JO-JO,

I assume that your vet has carried out blood tests to check for kidney or liver failure?
Has he been out - could he have been in an accident?

W
JoJo71
November 16, 2008 02:46PM
Hi W,

Sadly we had to have Murphy put to sleep yesterday afternoon, we took him to the pet medics who ran some tests and he had had a stroke but also had renal failure and was in some discomfort. A very sad day to lose my little friend. RIP Murphy. thank you for your help.

Jo
Gemma milligan
November 28, 2008 10:39PM
Hi My cat recently came in to for the first time season (my partner let her out before we made it too the vets) and since she came back(she was away for 17 hours) she seems really tired - she is still eating but cannot be botherd, she just seems to want to sleep.

I don't know if it's to do with her being in season or if i should take her to the vets to get her checked out. She's 1 year old.
November 29, 2008 09:21AM
Hi,

your cat is probably exhausted and stressed out.
Give her the weekend for R&R and see how she is then.

W
pauline
February 17, 2009 12:07AM
my 5 year old female cat has been off her food all day, ive also noticed that her eyes are very runny and one of them is half closed. i sprayed fly spray in my house this morning but im pretty sure the cat was outside. Any ideas
February 17, 2009 05:55PM
Hi,

Could be the flea spray, but unlikly, I think.

If she is no better after 48 hours, take her to your vet.

W
rhea
April 19, 2011 06:48PM
its probably nothing . i have a 3 year old short haired cat who has been neutered. wormed and flead on a regular basis, hes not a greedy cat anyway, but he rarely comes down for his breakfast and doesnt always want to know his dinner either! they do (have 3 others)a bowl of complete biscuits put down for them each morning to share. he seems to be sleeping more than hes awake! he doesnt look like hes losing weight or anything. dont know whether i should take him to the vets or just see how it goes?
April 20, 2011 07:23PM
The symptoms you describe are very vague and I doubt that there is anything to worry about, but without a vet looking at him I cannot say that this is truly the case. If you are not happy take him to the vet and then if nothing is found you can rest easy.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved