VetClick Discussion Forum

My kitten is pulling his little head apart :-(

Posted by DustyBod 
DustyBod
My kitten is pulling his little head apart :-(
August 27, 2013 08:34PM
My 9 month old male kitten has been repeatedly scratching his ears, head and cheeks for the past 6 weeks.
He is scratching in the same areas over and over and causing large scabs and bleeding. At first he was scratching the inside of his ears and I thought it might be
Mites, so I treated them but this hasn't stopped him scratching.
I took him to the vets but they were not very helpful and just said it must be a 'hangover' from when he got the mites.
We have another older female cat, and they sometimes fight so someone said it could be stress?
He only seemed to start doing it after the first time he went outside after being vaccinated and castrated,
And at first he was just scratching his collar. I don't really know what else to try and I'm worried there might be something wrong that the vet has missed.
Would really appreciate some advice, many thanks in advance.
Re: My kitten is pulling his little head apart :-(
September 10, 2013 08:44PM
Hi

Well all I can suggest is that you went back to the vet, or to another vet if you didnt get any further help from the original one. Does sound llike your little cat was in a lot of distress. Could be skin parasites or an allergy but its not possible to know without some tests. Treatment depends on the cause so sorry but I can't advise specifically.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved