VetClick Discussion Forum

white gsd has started being sick of a morning!

Posted by Chris Holding 
Chris Holding
white gsd has started being sick of a morning!
August 04, 2013 07:25AM
Hi, me and my wife gave a loving home to a 2yr old female white gsd a couple weeks ago from a rescue centre, we have been feeding her complete dry food with a bit of gravy but she would rarely finish a full serving and she had some meat with no problems, but the last 2 evening's around 7pm we have just gave her meat which she wolfs down, but of a morning about 7am she brings it back up undigested, even mixed a little meat with dry food last night but still the same. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Re: white gsd has started being sick of a morning!
August 08, 2013 06:41AM
Hi Chris

Its early days and you haven't owned her long. This may be nothing too serious and just a question of finding a less rich diet for her that she tolerates/ digests better. BUT some GSD's do have significant digestive issues that need testing to evaluate and special diets and treatment to control. Try splitting her food into smaller regular meals and feed a 'sensitive stomach formula' dog food-there's loads of different good brands to pick from. If she continues to vomit and/or gets loose stools and/or is losing weight, you will need to pursue the issue with your vet.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
sue66b
September 05, 2013 08:49AM
I also rescued a dog 9months a English Staffy. He was bringing up his kibble undigested a few times. I had him on Royal Canin Hypoallergenic for his skin it was 19% fat.... the vet has put him on Eukanaba Intestinal now its a low residue kibble. Get one of ur kibbles boil the jug & put one kibble in the hot boiling water for 40sec then take out the kibble see if you can break it up inbetween ur fingers, this new kibble Eukanaba breaks up in 30sec of being in the hot water but the old kibble Royal Canin doesnt break up at all.. change her feed to a more digestable kibble, at the pet store Eukanaba sells a kibble similar to the Intestinal called Senitive Stomach. I get my Eukanaba from the vets its a veterary diet the vet needs to write a script for it..Also the vet told me not give my dog any meats as they are higher in fats best to give some boiled chicken breast, I buy a couple of chicken breasts cut them in half boil them till they are just cooked no pink meat, cool them, separate them & freeze them just take out when u need them....sounds like ur girl has a stomach problem..
September 23, 2013 01:33PM
Hi Sue

Broadly speaking that's exactly the sort of adjustment that might work for some dogs with sensitive digestion. Sounds like it's worked for your dog. Its still the case that if symptoms continue for any dog or they become lethargic or lose weight then a vet should be checking out the cause of vomiting. There are many conditions that could cause vomiting, some are simply fixed and some are much more serious.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved