VetClick Discussion Forum

Floppy dog paws

Posted by Emma Walker 
Emma Walker
Floppy dog paws
July 26, 2013 09:35AM
My female collie is 10. I've noticed recently that her front paws seem 'looser' than they used to be or maybe should be? It almost like the elasticity or tension in her paws has gone or is going, and the 'fingers' of her paw are floppy. She can walk and run fine and seems to be in no pain and doesn't limp. It isn't bothering her. But it doesn't look quite right and I'm worried it will lead to problems for walking for her in future. Is it aging? A friend told me dogs paws can 'stretch' with age.
Re: Floppy dog paws
August 07, 2013 06:42PM
Hi Emma

Its interesting that she's a Collie because I've seen this most often in older Collies and yes there might be a problem here. Loss of the strength in her flexor tendons can cause the front leg carpal joints to weaken. I would advise you to get her checked over. It might be that nothing is needed at the moment but if the condition progresses she may need treatment. Keeping her at an ideal weight and not allowing her to get too heavy would be helpful in delaying the progression of the condition.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved