VetClick Discussion Forum

Feline dermal lesions

Posted by SShannon 
Feline dermal lesions
May 16, 2013 11:20PM
My aunt's ginger cat, Morris, has had these lumps on his back for quite a long time. They are irregular shaped nodules that only appear on his back, from the nape of his neck to almost the base of the tail. They vary in colour from white, to pinkish, and secrete a semi-granular, waxy/sebaceous substance that is light beige in colour. It has no smell. The nodules do not drain as an abscess would, as you cannot squeeze it out, but throughout the day the spots get caked in this secretion, and makes his fur greasy. As far as I know they do not cause pain when they are touched and he lets me look at them easily. He has had them for at least 2 years, and they are constant. They do not go away and reform, they are the same ones he has always had. He has approximately 4 spots along his back. They range in size from 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch.
This is a link to a picture of one:

[imgur.com]

Thank you for your time smiling smiley
-Samantha
Re: Feline dermal lesions
June 15, 2013 09:29AM
Hi

I cant tell you for definite but the chances are that these are benign sebaceous cysts. The key signs are that they are still quite small despite having been there for ages-2 years is a long time and not growing rapidly or causing discomfort. Trouble is things can change so dont entirely dismiss Morris's lumps. If they start to grow, get infected then appear sore or trouble him in any way then a vet should be checking them. Treatment or removal might become necessary.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
louisa foster
cat cyst
June 18, 2013 06:47PM
My cat has got a cyst on his back. He has had it for a few years now.he as been seen by a vet and they said they wouldn't do anything to it unless it started to bother him, it hasn't. It as just bust with a dark grey discharge. Just wondering what to do now. He is still not botherd about it. Ty
Re: cat cyst
June 18, 2013 07:02PM
Hi

Its still probably worth getting your vet to check it over, if they still say its not bothering him then fine. Sometimes an infection can set in when a cyst bursts open.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved