VetClick Discussion Forum

Should I get kittens who have already contracted calicivirus

Posted by LvD 
LvD
Should I get kittens who have already contracted calicivirus
March 01, 2013 05:09PM
Hi,
I currently live abroad and am about to rescue a couple of kittens from a local feline charity. We have seen a couple who are about 10 weeks old - but have been informed they have had calicivirus. I don't know much about this, other than that I was told they will have it for life and will only display symptoms when stressed etc. My concern would be when the time comes to importing them back home (to the UK, or possibly Australia) - i understand quarantine requirements would include the need to be vaccinated against the virus - would the fact that they've had it preclude them from being able to enter the UK/Australia?? Is calicivirus potentially a big deal for their future health or not (ie should I avoid these kitties and go for ones with no pre-existing conditions - harder than it would seem out here!)
Thanks
Re: Should I get kittens who have already contracted calicivirus
March 27, 2013 10:22AM
Hi

Sorry for the delay and you may have made your decision by now. Essentially the kittens have had a form of cat flu, its really common in a stray/rescue cat population. They may have recovered for now with good care and treatment but yes they can/will carry the virus and there is a risk it could flare up at any time when they are stressed in the future. Accepting that risk, it doesnt mean they couldnt be kept healthy or healthy enough to be imported to another country so its not a huge deal in that sense. I have seen many kittens that have been ill with cat flu when young but have recovered and maintained good health over time especially when good veterinary care, parasite control and vaccinations have been given. If you plan to take them with you, health checks are carried out just before import and if needed, quarantine, plus vaccinations against diseases such as rabies are needed. Each country is different in their requirements. It is someting you could check up in advance, for the UK its DEFRA that sets the rules. Its expensive for you to do this but it sounds like you are serious about the commitment.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved