VetClick Discussion Forum

Cat has a patch on her body missing hair and red outline

Posted by Kriisten456 
Cat has a patch on her body missing hair and red outline
February 11, 2013 05:23AM
My cat has what seems to be a patch on her skin it has a red outline and all hair is gone off if the area. It is not a distinct circular shape like a ringworm. She is acting completely normal. Eating well me still cuddling. Below are the links to some photos I took. She has polysporin on the area it is not goopy and infected like it appears. Does anyone know what this could be?

[tinypic.com]

[tinypic.com]

[tinypic.com]
Re: Cat has a patch on her body missing hair and red outline
February 19, 2013 09:05PM
Hi

I've had a look at your pictures. It looks quite a large area of sore skin. Do you see her licking the area a lot? looks to me like she might be overgrooming the skin. The most common cause of that is a flea dermatitis so that is the first thing you need to do is rule that out by using an effective flea control product. Unfortunately skin conditions aren't all easy to diagnose without doing some tests. You can't rule out ringworm just because its not in a distinct circle. In my experience a ringworm lesion is almost never in a circle. If simple flea control doesnt clear the soreness I am afraid you need a diagnosis of her problem and treatment from your vet.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved