VetClick Discussion Forum

Does my dog have a allergy?

Posted by Becky1992 
Becky1992
Does my dog have a allergy?
February 04, 2013 06:57PM
Hi
My 5 year old labrador keeps getting red and sore paws that get really itchy and she licks them and if they are really sore she can even limp when on walks.
She gets this problem every couple of months and it can last a few weeks.
I have consulted the vets several times and get the same contavance spray and a shampoo which help slightly but not fully.
They have suggested she could be allergic to something. Does anyone else think this or had a similar problem with there dog? If so what would be the best thing to do as i hate seeing her all itchy and uncomfortable sad smiley
Any help and advice would be wonderful
Thank you
Re: Does my dog have a allergy?
February 08, 2013 07:48PM
Hi Becky

I fear your vet is right that she could be allergic. The licking of the paws and the length of time its been happening are very suspicious for this possibility. Broadly speaking what you are already doing can be enough for some dogs to control the problem but I have met many labradors that need investigation of allergies via skin tests and food trials to diagnose the cause of their skin trouble, and more extensive treatment. I hope that's not going to be needed but it might be if her symptoms are getting worse.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved