VetClick Discussion Forum

Neutering and cystitius

Posted by Charlotte 
Charlotte
Neutering and cystitius
January 23, 2013 10:16AM
Hello, I have a lovely 20 month old tom cat who is still intact. I'd like to have him neutered but am concerned that it might cause him to have regular cystitus. He already had one bout of cystitus about 3 months ago, which was cleared up with anti-biotics. I have since cut down his dry food and upped his wet food intake to try to prevent it from occuring again. Is it worth the risk of having him neutered? I don't want him to suffer from recurrent bladder infections, but I'd like him to stay a little closer to home, and stop getting in scraps with other toms. Appreciate your advice on this. Thank you.
Re: Neutering and cystitius
January 29, 2013 08:15PM
Hi

I think the risks to him of not being neutered are greater than any risks of cystitis. Unneutered cats lead a more dangerous life style which is statistically proven to lead to a shorter life span. You have already noted his roaming and fighting. That could eventually lead him into some real scrapes and dangerous situations. Feeding wet food is certainly a help against bouts of cystitis so I suggest you carry on feeding that and opt for having him neutered.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved