VetClick Discussion Forum

To Neuter or to Spay?

Posted by David Ward 
David Ward
To Neuter or to Spay?
January 21, 2013 10:29AM
We have an eight week girl Jack Russell joining the family in a fortnight who is the sister of our 21 month old boy. Clearly one has to be neutered (or both?) If just one, which is better (less intrusive/painful/most effective)? Any advice welcomed.
Re: To Neuter or to Spay?
January 29, 2013 07:59PM
Hi

I'm glad that you appreciate they shouldn't breed, being brother and sister. I have both male and female Jack Russells and they are both neutered, so it is my advice to get yours both neutered. It is a simpler operation for the male(assuming his anatomy is all normal and there's no undescended testicles) I am a firm believer in neutering dogs that you dont want to breed from and in this case there's no question that you shouldn't allow that to happen. Modern pain relief makes the neutering procedure relatively untraumatic in young fit dogs so I dont think you need to feel bad for either dog.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved