VetClick Discussion Forum

dog suddenly starting to urinate again in house.

Posted by Angela Leake 
Angela Leake
dog suddenly starting to urinate again in house.
January 15, 2013 12:10AM
My parent's dog is 14yrs old and has started urinating in the house again, which is so unlike him because he can usually hold his bladder well and is so good in letting us know he wants to go out.
I know that older dogs can loose control of there bladders in old age but i have come to notice that it has started happening since they have started to look after there grandchild a lot.
Do you think that this could be some kind of jealousy thing because before the grandchild was around the dog was always " mummies and daddies little boy" and now when the grandchild stay's over the attention to the dog isn't as much.
Re: dog suddenly starting to urinate again in house.
January 18, 2013 05:33PM
Certainly an old dog can start to lose bladder control even one that has been very clean indoors previously. I cant see why it would be a behavioural thing although if the grandchild keeps his grandparents very busy they might not have time to let the dog out as often to relieve himself!. It is most likely to be due to a loss of bladder sphincter muscle tone. It is worth having this problem assessed by a vet because there might be something that can be given to help relieve or reduce the problem. Soiling indoors is a difficult problem for dog owners to cope with and can be stressful.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved