VetClick Discussion Forum

cat has scabs on lower back

Posted by Nate 
Nate
cat has scabs on lower back
January 06, 2013 08:07PM
my cat is a five year old indoor pet. she is a short haired black/white cat and weighs in at 13lbs. she is proportioned well, long and filled out, not "obesely unhealthy".. when i was scratching her one night on my lap i felt a scab like formation on her lower spine. from that abrasion to the base of her tail there were about 6 more scabs. monthly i go to the vet to purchase our frontline. no one in the house has any flea bites (i say this because she is typically laying on one of the five people in the home) and none of us have seen anything. we've been attentive to this matter and they seemed to have been going away. that was what i thought till today, they still seem to be there. is there any possible idea to as what it could be???

she is fed well.
she is loved unconditionally.
she regularly goes to vets for checkups and shots

thank you smiling smiley

sincerely, concerned owner
Re: cat has scabs on lower back
January 15, 2013 07:07PM
Hi Nate

These scabs might still be reaction to flea bites if they are very small. From what you say it sounds like you previously knew you had some fleas present? If so you do need to keep on treating regularly to prevent more fleas. You might also need to use a household flea treatment if there's a residue of them still around. If the scabs get bigger and your cat's skin is sore she might need treatment at your vets.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2013 07:14PM by Cathy Wickenden.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved