VetClick Discussion Forum

Old English Bulldog - Scab on face / Hair loss

Posted by Concerned James 
Concerned James
Old English Bulldog - Scab on face / Hair loss
December 29, 2012 05:44AM
Approximately 3-4 weeks ago I took my 1.5 year old Old English Bulldog to our local dog park of which we are frequent vistors. She has contact with several dogs many of which are unknown to me during her play time off leash at this park (lesson learned). A day or so later she developed a small red irritation on her cheek which quite acutely lead to the loss of hair around that "scab" (for lack of a better word). Because it appeared so quickly I assumed it was perhaps a bite mark from one of the dogs that I hadn't noticed on the drive home... So I left it alone. About 1 week after that I noticed that it had "spread" to her eyebrow and seemed to display similar signs and symptoms. (hair thinning, red, irritated looking).

She shows no other signs of irritation, no diet changes, no mood or energy losses. Her activity is regular. She doesnt appear to need to itch the spot or really even notice it what so ever even when I am examining and manipulating it.

One observation I have made is that the sores seem to cycle in severity. One day they will exhibit perfectly normal skin colour with no signs of irritation other than the residual bald spot... and then every so often they seem to go through a 1-2 day period where they appear quite red, irritated and perhaps even slightly "scabby".

I hope this is enough information to give a couple differential diagnosis of this problem. If it is not resolved, or improving, in the next week or so I will be forced to take her to the vet and pay what i can only assume will be substantial testing and treatment costs - as a student any opportunity to avoid this would be of obvious benefit.
Re: Old English Bulldog - Scab on face / Hair loss
January 04, 2013 11:32AM
Hi James

You are right to be concerned. It sounds most likely to me that your bulldog has a bacterial skin infection which is trying to heal but not quite managing to and is gradually spreading. Bulldogs as a breed that I see are rather prone to skin infections so I think without you seeing a vet and getting some appropriate treatment the problem will persist. It sounds fairly mild but its spreading and becoming a chronic problem. I think your dog needs treatment.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved