VetClick Discussion Forum

Old Dog

Posted by Keely 
Keely
Old Dog
December 13, 2012 12:33PM
Hi. My dog a cross lab / collie is 15 and is basically at the end of his life. He's been slowly deteriorating for the last 2 years. He's started being sick a lot and his back legs although completely finished are getting worse by the day.
I'm so unsure as what to do, I don't know if I make that fateful journey with him if it's for me or for him. His appetite is dwindelling, today he wasn't interested in any of his treats when I left him, but I'm sure that if I offered him some "human" food he would take it and if I pick up his lead when I get home he'll be more than interested in the a very slow walk round the block.

I think I may have answered my own question, or is the walk thing just instinct. He has always been far more interested in walks than food.
Re: Old Dog
December 18, 2012 07:41PM
Hi Keely

I can understand your concerns for your dog's welfare. Its a hard thing to judge when any older dog has stopped enjoying their life and old age issues have become too difficult to be helped. When I am discussing this with owners of old aged dogs I always try to consider three important aspects 1. does your old dog still eat a reasonable amount. 2. is your old dog still mobile and able to take some exercise even if its a limited amount 3. does your old dog respond and recognise you and interact with the surroundings. For me and owners that I talk to it helps if we both talk this through and consider all these things together. That still leaves you issues of exactly how much of all three things your dog still does and I hope you can think about that and talk it through with your vet.
Part of the decision making would also be influenced by any ill health issues that might be remedied with some treatment. Your vet should also be able to discover that to help you to decide what to do.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2012 07:42PM by Cathy Wickenden.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved