VetClick Discussion Forum

Distended abdomen

Posted by Jo B 
Jo B
Distended abdomen
November 28, 2012 01:25PM
I wonder if you can help. My cat's abdomen seems to be distended - not grossly but sufficiently so that it slightly changes her shape and she is uncomfortable being touched in that area. She shows few other signs of ill-health, apart from some general arthritis in her front elbows for which she is on the JD dry diet. She is eating well although she is a little slower that normal - we weren't sure whether that was just down to her age and the fact it's winter though (she is nearly 13 & hates the cold).
Re: Distended abdomen
November 29, 2012 03:50PM
Hi

A distended abdomen can happen from a variety of causes. Some causes are simple, such as becoming overweight, others are much more complex and if, for instance, its happening because there is fluid building up in your cat's abdomen, that really wouold be something needing investigation. You say you think she resents being touched over her abdomen so I would advise you get your cat checked by a vet.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved