VetClick Discussion Forum

Chihuahua is swallowing hard and reverse sneezing

Posted by Mattc042488 
Chihuahua is swallowing hard and reverse sneezing
November 20, 2012 05:18AM
My Chihuahua is about 10 months old now. Just recently within the past 3 months she has started swalloing hard....kinda like we do as humans when we have post nasal drip. And she will not really hack but she will do a what they call "reverse sneeze" which i know to be common in chihuahua's. This only lasts about a day and she does not vomit or anything like that and appears fine eating/using bathroom/playing. And this does not happeneveryday...it happens about once every other week. Just wanna make sure she is ok because with this time of the year I dont really have the money to spend at the vet. All we have done so far is give her water/rub her throat/pat her back to see if it helps but it doesnt. Like i mentioned before she swallows hard and doesn a reverse sneeze as to clear her throat which is the same exact thing we do with post nasal drippage. Someone help clarify this. Thanks!
Re: Chihuahua is swallowing hard and reverse sneezing
November 23, 2012 10:40AM
Hi Matt

It is certainly the case that some small breed dogs and especially short nosed dogs are prone to this kind of symptom, often described as reverse sneezing. The loud noise from the nose and throat in small dogs is often because the soft palate or epiglottis is relatively long, takes up too much space and has got trapped in the wrong position. This flap of tissue back beyond the hard palate(or roof of the dog's mouth)can cover the airway too much, leading to the dog having to make attempts to clear the airway and hence the noisy snorting/sneezing. It is often worse for overweight dogs and if it happens frequently and the dog is getting distressed or unable to exercise properly then corrective surgery is needed. If it only happens occasionally then the dog can usually cope OK.

For your young dog it doesnt sound really bad but its something that you do need to monitor and be aware of. If she's getting more problems over time you will have to see a vet to find out if treatment is needed.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved