VetClick Discussion Forum

Fishy smell/dog on heat

Posted by Kwilliams 
Fishy smell/dog on heat
November 18, 2012 08:10AM
Hi all, my dog is on heat but I've noticed a fishy smell coming from her. She's a very clean dog when she's on heat so I'm wondering if its just this that's causing the smell or something else? I have read that it could be the anal glands? She's not been bum shuffling as you call it which I'd been told is a sign the glands need emptying? So is it just because she's in season or do I need to visit my vet? Thankyou in advance.
Re: Fishy smell/dog on heat
November 19, 2012 07:15PM
Hi to you,

I would not expect a strong or fishy odour from a bitch that was having a normal heat discharge. There is possibility that the heat discharge is unhealthy, maybe heavier and that it is giving off the fishy odour. Even if your dog is not showing any other signs of ill health I would still get her checked over by your vet, in case of a medical condition such as an infection. Another possibility is a problem of full anal glands which might cause the odour even though your dog shows no sign of irritation to her rear. Not every dog shows that classic sign even when the glands need emptying. Get a vet to check this problem just in case your dog is unwell.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved