VetClick Discussion Forum

Dwarf hamster fur loss

Posted by Alice W. 
Alice W.
Dwarf hamster fur loss
October 30, 2012 10:08PM
Hi,

I got two male roborovsky dwarf hamsters about two months ago, and they live in the same cage. They eat the same food, use the same bedding, etc. However, one of them has lost all of his fur on his butt. The skin looks red, irritated, and possibly scabbed. I am wondering what could be going on, since he is moving around fine and eating well. He also gets along fine with the other hamster. I have only ever seen them playing. THey have never fought or hurt each other so I don't see a reason for that. What could it be and do you think I should go see a vet?

Alice
Re: Dwarf hamster fur loss
November 03, 2012 04:35PM
Hi Alice

Yes I do think you should, the skin sounds sore and uncomfortable so even though he is not showing other signs of illness you should get this checked by a vet to identify the problem. Mites or skin infection are equally possible and the other hamster may get the problem too if you wait.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved