VetClick Discussion Forum

hyperthyroid cat - compounding medication

Posted by LizL 
hyperthyroid cat - compounding medication
October 16, 2012 09:06AM
My cat's recently been diagnosed as hyperthyroid - her vet suggested that she try the Hills y/d diet, but at the rate she's going she'll die of starvation first (i.e. she simply will not eat the stuff, whether canned or dry). I'm not really happy about the diet option anyway, it doesn't feel right feeding a cat soy protein and absolutely nothing else, ever. So the next option is probably pilling, but she won't take pills in her food and she turns into a feral spitting monster when I try to put them in her mouth - even the vet finds her a challenge. I was reading about the compounding (I think that's the word) of medication from one form to another - it seems to be quite common in the US. Is there any possibility of getting it done here - I'm thinking that if instead of pills, I could use an oral suspension, this would work, as she's generally fine when I add things to her food that can be mixed in, such as antibiotics. Or would it not work anyway, because of the time-release element of the medication?

Thanks, Liz
Re: hyperthyroid cat - compounding medication
October 23, 2012 08:50PM
Hi LizL

Compounding her medication might not work either because, however you mix medication into food, if the cat doesnt like the taste and wont eat the food you are back to the same problem of being unable to medicate her. Some of my clients seem to manage to hide thyroid medication pills in their cat's food. Certainly initially that might work because with hyperthyroidsm the cat usually has a ravenous appetite. Unless your cat is really picky you could just try that because the treatment pills are very small. Crushing the slow release once daily version of thyroid medication would certainly destroy the slow release action so that wouldn't work well. I can see that you have a problem here but try to work with your vet for a solution. There is a surgical option for treating hyperthyroidism and also radiotherapy is available. Ask your vet if they think your cat might be a candidate for either of those treatments, if you really cannot medicate her long term. Next problem is you still have to get her stable with medication before either of those options can be carried out. Sorry but there are no easy answers to a cat who doesn't want to be medicated. The good thing is that hyperthyroidism has several treatment options and is a condition that does respond well if medication can be managed by some route.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
pam gaskin
skinny cat
November 11, 2012 04:54PM
my 11 year old cat has got very thin,no worms.also eating way out of usual,constant eating. she also show what i can only describe like parkinson shakes with her head. also is being sick,especially if she gets a wee fright,like someone knocking the door or someone coming in suddenly did not do this tilla couple of months ago and is happening more reg.plus she seems to be constantly in and out.does not seem to sleep very much.
Re: skinny cat
November 13, 2012 07:33PM
Hi Pam

This is sounding very like a case of hyperthyroidism. Cats can be hyperactive and hyperexcitable when they have this condition as well as losing weight despite eating lots. Take her along to your vet for a check up and they can do some blood tests to diagnose the problem and provide treatment. Hyperthyroidism can be treated in a variety of ways which your vet will discuss with you.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved